Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[Misc.] Encounter Maps; For when you have a swirly battle transition.
Topic Started: Feb 3 2013, 02:35 PM (35,662 Views)
Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
Knight of the Spread Sheet
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Download Link
Contains maps for:

• Beach
  • Cavern
  • Desert
  • Forest
  • Grasslands
  • Pokemon Center (Full-Service)
  • Pokemon Laboratory
  • Sea
  • Sky
  • Snow
  • Stage

I was talking with another GM the other day, who has her own PTA game she runs. She's been using my Carrico Town 1-X map for almost all of her battles, because it provided a ready area with obstacles and terrain. Her players enjoyed it, but it was starting to wear thin.

I decided I would come up with some more maps in that same style, for use when a GM just has to have an encounter or battle in an area he or she hasn't mapped out. Just say, "swirly battle transition!" and bring them onto the map with the terrain of your choice.

Each map is intended to be used for battles and other encounters; they are not dungeons or full-blown environments in and of themselves. However, each map has several distinct areas that can serve as a confined battlefield, or they can be used in their entirety to allow for sprawl-n-brawl fights.

While the maps have terrain and obstacles, they do not have "content" per se - there are no characters, items, or quests pre-packaged with these maps. This means you can populate them with things to do as you like, or use them for any purpose: They could be Gym battlegrounds, wild areas, whatever you need as a GM.

Each map comes in both MapTools .rpmap format (for use with MapTools 1.3.b86+), and .png format (for use in whatever mapping program you prefer). I made them using my Pokemon Sprite Collection, and I certainly recommend using those sprites with these maps, but you can use whatever sprites or tools you wish with them.

...So, this is something a little different from me - IE, it's not a spreadsheet. Lemme know what you think, if you find it useful, or if you have any suggestions for future maps!
Edited by Elemental Knight, Nov 13 2014, 07:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Niria
Member Avatar
Whisper
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, these are amazing Elemental Knight! Thanks!

DrStraightLord
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Damn nice. It's always cool to see something new from you, EK.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Added another map - the Stage. Ideal for Contests, or if you want a certain purple octopus to come and muck things up during an opera.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What's that, a non-Tohoku post from me? Perish the thought.

Anyway, new map added: A Full-Service Pokemon Center. This is meant to be a combination Pokemon Center / Community Center, combining the features of various regional Pokemon Centers that we see in the anime. You might see a Center like this in a particularly large city, or you might section it off to fill in for smaller, more provincial Centers that don't have all the amenities.
Edited by Elemental Knight, Feb 24 2013, 08:31 PM.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, it's only been half a year. Time for an update!

Added another map: The Pokemon Lab. This is basically a cross between two different kinds of laboratory: the kindly Pokemon Professor in front, and the evil Rocket Mad Science Lab in back. (The Pokeball Storage Room serves both: the Kindly Professor storing the Pokeballs of the Trainers he or she is mentoring, and the Rocket Mad Scientists keeping Pokemon to experiment on, or just to sell later to fund their nefarious schemes.)

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Added more maps! The Sea, and the Desert, are now available for your battling pleasure. They're more open maps meant to highlight different movement capabilities (Burrow and Surface/Underwater respectively).

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, so this is where the Battle Castle maps come from! Will those be available in the Castle, or do you know? Either way, these are pretty great maps.

Just, one nitpick - I think you mixed up the capability order! Unless you plan to Burrow underwater, or swim in a desert... Though I've been known to have characters/Pokemon do both.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whether or not they're used in the Battle Castle is up to Kaorin, really. But I imagine they will be eventually - that's what inspired this recent kick of me being productive and making them!

And, uh, yeah, I did. Herpaderp.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR