Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[PTX] An Excel Pokemon Generator; For quickly statting up random encounters or PC PKMN.
Topic Started: Oct 16 2010, 09:17 PM (94,772 Views)
Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
Knight of the Spread Sheet
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
PTU, v2.0.2
PDF 1.05 Rules (Current!)
DOWNLOAD LINK

PTA v6.0.1
PDF ORAS (not updated to Sun/Moon yet)
DOWNLOAD LINK

Sheets for Older Rulesets:
Spoiler: click to toggle

When I first started this topic, I was a first-time poster who'd been reading the rules (1.09), and any campaigns I could find, voraciously... But in order to learn the rules, I decided to make myself an Excel sheet with as much of the game's Pokemon math as I could get in there. It turns out, that's quite a lot - so, I figured I'd share it with people, and this seemed like an appropriate place to do it.

Since this was born of an effort for me to learn the rules, I'd appreciate feedback on it doubly as much as I might otherwise: to both improve the sheet, and my own understanding of a really cool-lookin' game.

This Excel sheet comes in three parts: One for a PC's Pokemon, another for a GM's Pokemon, and one for a Trainer's Pokedex. I'll explain them all.

The PC Pokemon's side can allow players to quickly stat up their own Pokemon, and allows for them to keep track of a given monster's stats as modified by combat stages, distributed stat points, and natures; it also keeps track of elemental types, statuses, Evasion bonuses, STAB, and moves, as well as providing easy access to the rules for any move that that Pokemon has, but not for the ones it does not have. To keep track of your whole team, you should be able to just make additional copies of the individual sheet within the workbook, one for each Pokemon. The sheet will also tell you if you've leveled up based on your EXP, if you've learned moves from leveling up, if you still have stat points to distribute for your level, or if you've distributed a few too many stat points for your level.

The GM's side is similar, but with a few differences - the biggest one being that it automatically levels a Pokemon's stats up to a given level using the ratio of its base stats (which preserves the order of stats, and keeps the totals within a few points of having leveled them up by hand, while making sure that stats lower on a given Pokemon's order don't get completely shafted). The GM's Pokemon's side also keeps track of Capture Rate, given the Pokemon's level, status, current hit points, and species, and allows for the lookup of any move, not just the ones that a given Pokemon has.

There's also a Trainer's Pokedex, which right now contains a majority, but not the entirety, of Bestiary data. (Data for some Pokemon will be a mix of correct and incorrect data... It's a known issue, and an artifact of how the data for this has to be hand-compiled.) It'll have data for more Pokemon in later versions of the excel sheet, but for now, just pretend you haven't unlocked a big enough Pokedex to handle that data.

On all sheets, peachy-orange boxes are for you to type in values, gray-white boxes with orange text are for drop-down lists, and gray-white boxes with dark-gray text are output by the sheet. Also on all sheets, click a gray button to activate it.

If Excel asks you about Macros and/or security, you can allow or disallow as you like - however, disallowing Macros will mean the three gray buttons on the PC PKMN and GM PKMN sheets won't work, as well as many other features. However, the basic functionality will work fine. (If you don't want the message to come up every time you open the sheet, put the folder it's in in Excel's Trusted Places.)

I've also added a Random Encounter Generator, which creates a set of 1-6 Pokemon, based on criteria you enter, including Type, Habitat, and Egg Group. There's also an Easy Breeder tab, for seeing what comes out of the Egg that "somehow appears" when two Pokemon like each other very, very much.

I've included a Reverse Breeder sheet. Given a Pokemon species, it generates a family tree for that Pokemon - including Egg Moves, TMs applied, and even allowing for re-Typing shenanigans. So, you can use it to populate a Breeder's team, or to see if a wild Pokemon has Egg Moves on it.

In 2016, I added a sheet to enable someone to add their own Fakemon easily, and imported my own Fakemon. You can choose with creators' Pokemon the sheet does or does not consider 'valid' on the GM Options sheet. New Pokemon that're added and considered 'valid' are then usable in all other parts of the sheet, including things like the Random Encounter Generator, Pokedex, and Reverse Breeder sections.

If you have suggestions for ways for me to improve this sheet, tell me! The Pokedex, for instance, was the result of a request, as were a number of smaller bits in there already.

Again, feedback and constructive criticism would be appreciated, for a number of reasons. Thanks!

P.S. I'm aware of Shiny Jirachi's program, and I wanna see it too - it looks cool, and the uses for XML-based Pokemon sheets go beyond simple bookkeeping. I have no intention of stealing any of his thunder or anything, and I know some people can't use Excel, or just don't like it. But if you're okay with Excel and haven't already made your own sheet...

For the record, the sheet has been tested in OpenOffice 3.2.1 and 3.3.0, and while the sheet itself seems to work okay there, the macros will not work. This means that the Random Encounter Generator, and the GM Sheet's ability to randomize a Pokemon's data or populate its movelist, will not work in OpenOffice. (For more details, go here.) I believe they'll work fine in Excel Viewer, however.

Notes about edits to this post, and notes about updates to the Excel sheet, lie below the spoiler cut.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Elemental Knight, Mar 6 2017, 06:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Spiderc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
i just finished making something like this for my players and was considering posting it for people. guess i don't need to now =P

anyway, this looks great (can't imagine the amount of time it took you as mine took longer than i would have liked and i only have half of the stuff you do...)

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Spiderc
Oct 17 2010, 07:29 AM
(can't imagine the amount of time it took you as mine took longer than i would have liked and i only have half of the stuff you do...)
It wasn't too bad, actually, but that's mostly because the PDFs had their data in a format that I could easily finagle into becoming an Excel table - though for a few (notably, the Pokemon stats/elements), I had to combine tables from Bulbapedia and from the PDF. But, once I had all the data sorted away, the rest was just linking it together and setting up the formatting.

Feel free to use it, if you like - and if you do, tell me how it goes! (Because I wanna hear how the sheet works out, and I wanna hear about more campaigns in this system, heh.)

BigTentacruel
Member Avatar
Mr. Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hilariously, this makes my attack list that I was working on almost obsolete. The biggest difference between what you've got here and what I was working on is that mine was sorted in sheets by type and yours is all in one big pile. I suppose that makes a big enough difference for on the fly searching, but your deal here makes literally everything a breeze. Thanks a ton.

Aeros
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ahhh, so nice. I've been wondering about making something like this, but I'd basically have to relearn EVERYTHING i learned about excel to do it. This should be really helpful to me as a GM.

How mod-able can this be? If say, someone wants to add a Pokemon from the 5th gen list.

BloodAngel266
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow. That's all I can say. I'm like Spiderc, just made something for my players, but nothing like what you have. One thing that seems to be missing is at least the basic capabilities and abilities. I don't know how many people follow them to a "t", but it is good to have in there.

I'd use your sheet, but the players and I have already agreed to try the alternative leveling method (http://s4.zetaboards.com/Pokemon_Tabletop/topic/8089934/1/), which means the formulas for stats won't work. I have been playing around with the sheet though, and it is awesome, especially the GM sheet.

Would you mind if I used the Moves chart as part of my player's sheets though? I think it's a bigger time saver than keeping up with stats. The sheet is really only for my group, so it wouldn't hit the net in any way, and you'd get the credit for the work regardless.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Aeros
Oct 17 2010, 02:44 PM
How mod-able can this be? If say, someone wants to add a Pokemon from the 5th gen list.
Pretty darn. All the data is contained in the "Behind the Scenes" sheet, in tables - which I'm cleaning up in my version, but it's mostly just applying "this is a table" to the Pokemon table. If you wanted to add more Pokemon, you'd just put them at the end of that table, fill in the row of data, and tell it to re-sort by Pokemon Name A-Z (because Excel requires it to be in alphabetical order for the lookups to work). The same is true of Natures and of Moves; if you wanted to edit the EXP or STAB table, you'd just change the values for the levels.

Does that answer your question?

EDIT: Blood Angel, go ahead and use what you like! I haven't looked into that alternate method yet, so I dunno what it entails. Just remember that everything in mine ties back to the Behind the Scenes tab, so you'll need that in there if you're doing anything except, uh, copying data out of it. I'd also appreciate official credit if you distribute it, because that's just polite. :D
Edited by Elemental Knight, Oct 17 2010, 03:54 PM.

Aeros
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I can add to the move-lists and Natures; but the Pokemon list isn't organized and sortable like the other two lists.

EDIT: found a bug: Curse's Notes are for Aqua Jet, whose description is missing completely.
another bug: Water Gun, Water Pulse, Water Sport, Water Spout, Waterfall and Whirlpool are all messed up
Edited by Aeros, Oct 17 2010, 06:12 PM.

kriss1989
Member Avatar
Soldier of FAQ
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If I had excell I would totally use this. It sounds great.

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Aeros, I've found the bug you reported and made the changes - I'd seen some similar ones in other water-moves, but apparently I missed a round of 'em. I haven't seen anything similar, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're in there; it's a "one-off" bug, which can be the most annoying kind.

The first post's attachment and mirror link reflect the bug fixes now, too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR