Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Breeder/Natural Edge; Isn't it kinda broken?
Topic Started: May 4 2018, 02:33 PM (165 Views)
Ezra
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello, my good people!

I humbly come to ask your opinion on this matter my friend and I were discussing yesterday, regarding the Natural Edge feature for Breeders.
Our main concern is that, at least in some cases, gaining +6 in two stats may feel a little bit over the top.

Take the Blissey family, for instance: all three of them have Base 1 in both Attack and Defense, which is their main weakness and what makes them all-around balanced Pokémon. If we made it Base 7 in Defense, couldn't they turn into nearly unkillable tanks? And I'm not even considering the possibility of giving them Vitamins on top of that. Idk, it feels kinda weird for me to tamper with Base Stats like that. My friend says that's specially dangerous in these cases where the natural Base Stat of the Pokémon is lower than the bonus itself.

So, what do you guys think? Are we overthinking it, and it won't be as broken as we imagine? Anyone else agrees it's too much? Should we nerf it or let it be?
We'd really appreciate if you shared your thoughts and arguments. Thank you very much!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maleolo
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The feature description doesn't specify which pokemon you can apply the bonus. Actually, it says "Add half of your CHA modifier to ANY of the pokemon’s base stat..." and in the recent rulebook "Add half of your DEF modifier to any of the Pokémon’s base stat". But I guess this creates very weird situations, I mean... You can make a fast Slowbro or a Special Burst Rhyperior with this feat, right?

I don't know if already exists a discussion about that, but I really would like to know the opinion of Adms to clear this up.
Edited by Maleolo, May 9 2018, 08:07 PM.

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Not a weird question at all! It's not really as broken as you might think. It's 11:30PM my time, so I'm not really in the mood to run numbers. But if you have a character that goes waaaaay out of their way to build this, let them have it. Their are plenty of ways to overcome this as a GM, Toxic comes to mind. But if they're entirely focused in HP and DEF or SpDEF then it's all too likely they won't have the other stats to actually do any damage on the field and frankly at worst it causes a stalemate.

If you're truly worried about it, talk about it with your players. It will be way easier to ask any reasonable group not to abuse a niche game break than to try and create a perfect solution (and it's a lot faster too.)

That's just my 2 cents though. Happy gaming!

ZoltanFargo
Member Avatar
Shaman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've got a player with Breeder who is giving his pokemon +6 and +5. It sounded scary at first, but it's really not that bad. It's a way for his pokemon to still be relevant vs the ace trainer/type ace in our party who is gaining +20% xp on everything and an additional +30% on his ghosts. But thats just an example from our current game, in comparison the Petrologist is making loads of money from digging up the past along with stone search so she can afford more in the way of tms/hms and vitamins.

From my experience so far it has not been an issue, he has had it at that level for quite some time, from like Level 10 or so? And pokemon were round level 15-20 at that time for most players and it wasn't a problem then. It's most powerful early and falls off later on, remember pokemon eventually get more than 1 stat point per level.

At the end of the day if you feel its overshadowing other features and what other players can do then you do what you feel you need to. I just didn't feel much of a difference, but your mileage may vary etc etc. For reference my game consists of 4 Trainers and none of them feel like they are underpowered or being overshadowed by others.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR