Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About Weapons...; Do they do anything?
Topic Started: Mar 19 2018, 09:21 PM (249 Views)
Dxjxc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Aside from feats and classes that enhance, modify, or specialize in weapons, the rules don't mention any advantage of weapons over bare hands aside from range. Both draw on the same damage bases, and are treated the same by the general rules.

Should weapons be given additional damage boosts or effects by the gm? Such as dmg+1 dagger, guns having a set value for ATK instead of adding the user's.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Honestly, the only way that weapons stand out is by taking "Arms Features" or something similar. When you take the arms feature, you get to specify exactly one type of weapon with which you are trained with. When using that weapon, you then get increased damage.

However, that's about where it ends. It doesn't matter what kind of weapon you're using, they all deal the same damage. Slingshots and shotguns are the same if you're playing RAW. I think this oversight is intentional and used as a way to try and keep the focus on Pokemon combat, rather than Trainer Combat.

That said, an expanded ruleset for weapons would be an excellent addition to the game's rules for groups that might want to play in a story/setting that includes these elements.

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree with red. I think the game was written with the pokemon world in mind. If your setting is grittier or more dangerous than the anime or video game, you could probably assign appropriate damages to weapons.

Dr Mr Stark
Member Avatar
MegaWailord
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Red's right. There were certain places I didn't want to go. If your setting has dangerous weapons, find an appropriate Pokemon Move and use it for whatever weapon you see fit.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR