Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[UPDATED] Character Creation Guide - PTA USUM Update; A Quick Guide for New Players to Make Their First Pokemon Trainer
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 01:47 PM (3,846 Views)
Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
THIS OPENING QUESTION WAS A LOT EASIER TO ANSWER IN 1997
Welcome to the world of Pokemon! Are you a boy or a girl? Hopefully, this guide will give you a good idea of how to create a new character in Pokemon Tabletop Adventures: Ultra Sun-Ultra Moon Update. I will take you through each step in the character creation process in what I believe is the most comprehensive way to build your character. Please note: Due to the formatting of the PDF, page numbers listed in the table of contents or noted anywhere else in the book are actually 2 lower than what your PDF viewer of choice will display as your current page. Therefor anytime I reference a page number, it is the page number your PDF viewer will display. Additionally, PHB=Player's Handbook and GMG=Game Master's Guide
IN THE BEGINNING...
Unless your GM notes otherwise, all characters begin at level 0 and with no Pokemon. There are many key words used in the character creation process. Some of them are similar to each other, and some of them have been changed or added since previous versions of the game. I will give a brief overview of them before going into the step-by-step process.

Stats are the six core attributes that define the basic aspects of both humans and Pokemon alike. They are HP-Hit Points, ATK-Attack, DEF-Defense, SATK-Special Attack, SDEF-
     Special Defense, and SPD-Speed.
     Stat Modifiers are bonuses you add to certain die rolls/checks.
     Trainer Skills represent the things you are good at because of experience or training. They are divided into categories according to your stats. Additionally, there are Movement Skills.
     While both Trainers and Pokemon make use of movement skills, Trainer Skills and Pokemon Skills are very different. More information on Pokemon Skills can be found on Page
     11 of the Pokedex.

Features are the meat and potatoes of what makes your character unique. The Player's Handbook sometimes refers to them as feats, but this is just a shorthand. Features are divided
     into the following six categories: Trainer Features, Arms Features, Class Features, Advanced Features, Base Features, and Specific Features.
STEP BY STEP WAS A GOOD SHOW
Step 1 - ♪♪ Who are you? Who, Who? Who, Who? ♪♪
     No, really. Who are you? How old are you? What is your gender or lack thereof? Where do you live? What does your family believe in? What kind of pokemon were you raised around?
     What do your parents do for a living? How do your parents treat you? What are your hobbies? What kind of Trainer do you aspire to be? What do you look like? What is your
     temperament? Answering these questions and more about what makes your Trainer tick will make the following steps much easier to complete.

Step 2 - Dice? Where we're going, we don't need dice.
     Now that you know who you are, let's represent that with numbers. I'll briefly detail the purpose of each stat and how to allocate your initial stat points. More information on stats
     can be found starting on page 8 of the PHB.

HP - Hit points are a measurement of how much damage your body can sustain before it gives out. If your HP is reduced to zero, you faint and are unable to act. If your HP is
          ever reduced to a negative amount equal to your Max HP, you must make a Death Saving Throw. More information on fainting and death can be found on page 17 of the
          GMG.

ATK - Attack is a measurement of how much damage you can do with your body and physical weapons, as well as your overall strength and physical power. Add your total ATK
          stat to the damage rolls of attacks that deal physical damage.
          DEF - Defense is not only a measurement of how durable your body is and how resistant you are to damage from physical attacks, it also represents your physical stamina and
          ability to push through difficult situations. Reduce incoming damage from physical attacks by an amount equal to your total DEF stat.
          SATK - Special Attack is a measurement of how much damage you can do with your mind and mental or energy attacks, as well as your raw intelligence and book smarts. Add
          your total SATK stat to the damage rolls of attacks that deal energy damage.
          SDEF - Special Defense is not only a measurement of how durable your mind is and how resistant you are to damage from energy attacks, it also represents your willpower,
          perception, and ability to persuade others. Reduce incoming damage from energy attacks by an amount equal to your total SDEF stat.
          SPD - Speed is a measurement of your overall responsiveness. It represents your dexterity, balance, and quickness. Unlike other RPGs, there is no formula for initiative nor is there
          a roll. Your initiative is always your total SPD stat.
     Again, unlike other RPGs you may be familiar with, there is no stat rolling either. Each stat begins with 6 points. You have 30 additional points to allocate among your stats in any way
     you like. However, no stat may be raised higher that 14 during character creation. This is where you'll want to think back to the questions you answered in step 1. Please Note: ALL
     base classes require two individual stats to be at 13. More information on classes can be found starting on page 32 of the PHB

Step 3 - I'll tell Bethesda like I told Rockstar. I ain't payin' for mods.
     All of your stats, except for HP, have a modifier, or mod. For every two points above 10, add +1 mod. For every single point below 10, add -1 mod. Your GM may want you to complete
     a task or overcome an obstacle that does not fit neatly into a skill check, and will ask for a check with a stat appropriate for the situation. In this case, simply roll 1d20 and either add or
     subtract your mod. Next, I will detail special uses for each mod outside of basic stat checks. More information on stat mods can be found on pages 10-11 of the PHB.
          HP Mod - Your HP stat does not actually have a modifier. Instead, use your HP stat to calculate your Max HP using the following formula: [(HP Stat X 4) + (Trainer Level X 4)].
          When HP is listed as a prerequisite for anything, use your HP stat value and not your Max HP.
          ATK Mod - Add your ATK mod to the result of accuracy rolls for Arms attacks, whether they be unarmed or with an actual weapon. Please Note: if your ATK mod is negative,
          you will subtract that number from the result rather than adding to it.
Also, add your ATK mod to the result of any ATK skill check in which you have at least one rank.
          DEF Mod - Add your DEF mod to your DEF Evasion. You can never gain more than +6 DEF Evasion from your DEF mod. Do not subtract from your DEF Evasion if your DEF mod is
          negative. Also, add your DEF mod to the result of any DEF skill check in which you have at least one rank.
          SATK Mod - Your SATK mod does not influence your accuracy rolls for attacks in either the positive or the negative. Add your SATK mod to the result of any SATK skill check in
          which you have at least one rank. Please Note: SATK employs the Investigation skill, which confers ACTIVE SEARCHING.
          SDEF Mod - Add your SDEF mod to your SDEF Evasion. You can never gain more than +6 SDEF Evasion from your SDEF mod. Do not subtract from your SDEF Evasion if your
          SDEF mod is negative. Also, add your SDEF mod to the result of any SDEF skill check in which you have at least one rank. Please Note: SDEF employs the Perception skill,
          which confers PASSIVE NOTICING.

SPD Mod - Add your SPD mod to your SPD Evasion. You can never gain more than +6 SPD Evasion from your SPD mod. Do not subtract from your SPD Evasion if your SPD mod is
          negative. Also, add your SPD mod to the result of any SPD skill check in which you have at least one rank.
     Please Note: While you can never gain more than +6 of any kind of Evasion from Stat Mods, the total for any Evasion is +9
     Please Note: Trainers' Stat Mods are completely and totally unaffected by the raising and lowering of combat stages

Step 4 - Rhymes for $200: With these, one could pay the bills.
     Level 0 characters do not select any skills during character creation. Instead, skills are gained when Class and Advanced Features are taken. All characters may attempt any skill check
     untrained, though they only roll 1d20 with no modifiers. Having ranks in a skill confers a +2 bonus on checks for that skill for each rank you have in it, up to a maximum bonus of +4
     for two ranks. Additionally, as noted above, having even one rank in a skill allows you to add the appropriate Stat Mod to the skill check. HP skills may only ever be selected once and
     never involve dice rolls. More information on Trainer Skills can be found on page 14 of the PHB. Now, on to Movement Skills. Your value in any Movement Skill represents the
     number of meters (or spaces on a map) you may move within the given environment in a single combat round. Though these specific values are somewhat unimportant outside of
     combat or time-sensitive situations, it is always a good idea to keep in mind how quickly or slowly you're generally able to move.
          Overland - This is your ability to traverse the ground. Your base Overland speed is 5, or 3+1/2 ATK or SPD Mod, whichever is higher.
          Surface - This is your ability to swim on the surface of bodies of water. Trainers may not swim in bodies of water that are shallower than waist deep. For these situations, use your
          Overland speed. Your base Surface speed is 4 or 2+1/2 DEF Mod, whichever is higher.
          Underwater - This is your ability to swim underwater. Trainers may not swim underwater during combat rounds unless they have a Feature that alters or enhances their
          Underwater Skill. More information on movement skills can be found on pages 19, 396, and 404 of the PHB.

Step 5 - And now, our feature presentation.
     Level 0 characters do not select any Features during character creation. Instead, features are gained by leveling up. I will briefly detail each of the six feature types.
          Trainer Features - These are available to trainers of any class, so long as you meet the prerequisites, and generally improve the basic functions of being a pokemon trainer. Every
          time you gain a Feat Point from leveling, if you did not select a class that level, you may gain a new Trainer Feature. More information on Trainer Features can be found
          beginning on page 24 of the PHB.

Arms Features - These represent your ability to fight using your own body or human-made weapons, and there are only two of them. All trainers begin the game with Arms User.
          This is the exception to the rule stating level 0 characters start with no Features. Weapon of Choice can be selected as early as level 2. More information on Arms Features can
          be found on page 30 of the PHB.

Class Features, Advanced Features, Base Features, and Specific Features - Class Features and Advanced Features are misnomers. Not truly "Features" like the rest of them,
          Class Features and Advanced Features are simply this game's mechanic for selecting classes and advanced classes. This is an interesting aspect of the game; you are not required to
          ever select a Class Feature or Advanced Feature, and may simply select only Trainer and Arms Features. However, should you choose to select a Class Feature or Advanced Feature,
          there are a few benchmarks to be aware of. After reaching levels 1, 5, 12, and 24, on any level in which you gain a Feat Point, you are able to select up to 1, 2, 3, and 4 Class
          Features or Advanced Features respectively, so long as you meet the prerequisites, and you may meet them naturally or through cross-classing. The order in which you select
          Trainer/Arms Features and Class/Advanced Features does not matter, so long as you adhere to the benchmarks. More information on leveling up and the trainer level chart
          can be found on pages 12-13 of the PHB. More information on cross-classing can be found beginning on page 248 of the PHB.
Base Features are the two other
          Features you gain immediately upon selecting a Class Feature or Advanced Feature; this is why you are unable to select a Trainer, Arms, or Specific Feature on any level in which
          you selected a Class Feature or Advanced Feature, unless you gained more than one Feat Point that level. Specific Features are the non-Base Features contained within every
          standard class and advanced class. Every time you gain a Feat Point from leveling, if you did not select a Class Feature or Advanced Feature with that Feat Point, alternatively to
          gaining a Trainer Feature you may gain a new Specific Feature for any class you have already selected so long as you meet the prerequisites. More information on Classes,
          Advanced Classes, Base Features, and Specific Features can be found beginning on page 32 of the PHB.
Please Note: No official game material refers to
          "Specific Features" as such. I am doing so in order to better clarify their difference from other types of features.

I hope this was helpful to those having a bit of trouble understanding the character creation process. Honestly, I only heard about this game 3 weeks ago, so there's a chance I may have misinterpreted some things or overlooked something entirely. Please feel free to reply with corrections, and I will be happy to update the guide.
Edited by Kobeyashimaru, Mar 15 2018, 08:03 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Guh... Gyah... it's done. I know no one asked for it, but you're welcome.

Dxjxc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

You are able to select a class at Levels 1, 5, 12, and 24. At level
1, you must take one of the nine standard classes. At levels 5, 12, and 24 you may choose any standard or advanced class for which you meet the prerequisites.

This makes it sound like taking classes is required, when taking a class is always optional, and the levels merely denote the earliest it can be done. A player can remain a classless Pokemon trainer the entire game if they choose.

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I want to start by saying this guide is really amazing! I think this will help a lot of people who are new to the community, so excellent job! In addition to being clever (loved the headers), it's also incredibly comprehensive and concise! There are just a few clarifications that should be made:

Quote:

You are able to select a class at Levels 1, 5, 12, and 24. At level
1, you must take one of the nine standard classes. At levels 5, 12, and 24 you may choose any standard or advanced class for which you meet the prerequisites.

Dxjxc already mentioned it, but this wording makes it sound like taking a class is required at level one. Players should know that taking a general Trainer/Arms Feature is also an acceptable option. In addition, it is not "required" for a player to ever take a base class, as a variety of advanced classes can be achieved through cross-classing.

Other than those suggestions though, it looks really good! Thank you so much for your hard work!

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you both for the corrections. The features section has been reworded to better clarify how classes and features work. Also, I just realized that all the coding I did to format this the way I wanted makes it look awful on mobile. Sorry for the mess if you’re reading this on your phone.
Edited by Kobeyashimaru, Mar 14 2018, 02:44 PM.

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The updated "Step 5" looks great! And I do a lot of surfing on my phone, it doesn't look too bad. Though the desktop view is obviously a little nicer.

Noir-the-eevee
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have one question. where can i find the documents in with you speek of ?

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Noir-the-eevee
Mar 15 2018, 07:12 PM
I have one question. where can i find the documents in with you speek of ?
It can be found on the in the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon update thread that is pinned to the top of PTA forum.

Sgmendez
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

ATK Mod - Add your ATK mod to the result of accuracy rolls for Arms attacks, whether they be unarmed or with an actual weapon. Please Note: if your ATK mod is negative,

Where is this information? In the PHB it only mentions adding ATK or SPD to arms damage, not accuracy: Page 30 (28) of the PHB

Quote:

Effect: Your Accuracy Check for Arms attacks is 6. Whenever you deal damage with an Arms Feature, add the highest of your ATK or SPD modifiers to the damage dealt.

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sgmendez
Mar 17 2018, 05:42 PM
Quote:

Where is this information? In the PHB it only mentions adding ATK or SPD to arms damage, not accuracy: Page 30 (28) of the PHB

Quote:

Effect: Your Accuracy Check for Arms attacks is 6. Whenever you deal damage with an Arms Feature, add the highest of your ATK or SPD modifiers to the damage dealt.
Page 8 of the PHB - "Attack - In Combat, Attack is added to physical attacks against the target’s Defense."

Page 11 of the PHB - "Attack - The ATK modifier is added to any improvised attack."

Page 30 of the PHB - "Arms User - Effect: Your Accuracy Check for Arms attacks is 6. Whenever you deal damage with an
Arms Feature, add the highest of your ATK or SPD modifiers to the damage dealt."

Page 427 of the PHB - "Combat Starts: Round 1: Jimmy rolls for his Trainer Attack anyway, an Improvised Kick with the Arms User Feature - He rolls a 8, when he needed a 6, it hits. GM: I’ll let you do that, it’ll be using Damage Base 1 1d10+4. Jimmy rolls for his Trainer’s Attack Damage: 4 on 1d10 adding his Attack Stat 12, and his ATK and DEF modifiers for Martial Artist’s Combat Focus, 1 and 1 for 18."

Page 428 of the PHB - "Jimmy: I'll elbow drop the same Bidoof who I already hit! Dirgen! Scratch up the nearest Bidoof! Jimmy rolls for his Trainer Attack, another Arms User attack: 12 on 1d20 for Accuracy Check, he needed a 6, so it Hits. Jimmy rolls for his Trainer Attack’s Damage: 1d10+4, Adding his Attack Stat again (12), with his Martial Artist’s Combat Focus again (2)."

This is one of the problems I ran into when writing this guide. You're right; nowhere in the pdf does it explicitly state what I wrote, "ATK Mod - Add your ATK mod to the result of accuracy rolls for Arms attacks, whether they be unarmed or with an actual weapon". But if you look at the above passages, I believe the wording of Arms User was an oversight and it should read "Arms User - Effect: Your Accuracy Check for Arms attacks is 6. Whenever you make an attack with an Arms Feature, add the highest of your ATK or SPD modifiers to accuracy rolls". One reason I believe this is because adding your full attack or special attack stat to the damage based on physical/energy is already built in to all attacks made by trainers, arms included, so adding the higher of your attack or speed mod to the damage seems unintuitive at best. The other reason is it is simpler to change that one thing than change all the others. Comparing the passages from pages 8&11 with the combat demo on pages 427&428, it shows jimmy adding damage from his full attack stat. He adds his attack and defense mods because of a martial artist feature but does not add his attack or speed mod because of Arms User. And yes, it also doesn't explicitly state that he is adding his atk mod to the accuracy roll, it doesn't specify if anything is modifying it, while the damage roll is specific.

Edit: since this is not my material and I am just trying to condense things for the ease of others, if any contributors would like me to not make assumptions with the material, I will gladly stick to what is explicitly stated. Alternatively, if this is fine, I'll go ahead and edit the guide to reflect the higher of attack or speed being added to trainer accuracy rolls, as that is what I intended but somehow that only got noted in attack mod.
Edited by Kobeyashimaru, Mar 18 2018, 12:19 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR