Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interrupt Rule Question; Vacuum Wave, Extreme Speed, etc.
Topic Started: Mar 11 2018, 02:02 PM (167 Views)
CatfishPolitics
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello world.

I'm trying to figure out the Interrupt keyword and how it works, or otherwise ask how you all handle it.

The keyword itself seems rather straightforward: Declare a move to be used during a foe's turn, provided it matches any criteria the move may have, and in exchange you forfeit your entire next turn. My confusion comes from the various moves that have the keyword, and how I'm supposed to be dealing with their nuances.

Nowhere in the description of the Interrupt keyword does it seem to imply that you can shift during the use of this move, but if that was the case then how would Extreme Speed with the Dash keyword or Shadow Sneak with the Pass keyword work? Both of those keywords require movement for the move.

Is the Interrupt keyword supposed to allow a shift action as well? If so, how would that work with moves such as Vacuum Wave or Ice Shard, both of which are ranged attacks? Could you move further away from your opponent, rather than moving towards them?

Lastly, if a move is used to interrupt an opponent's turn, and it results in them being out of range of an opponent's move, does the opponent's move fail? As an example, if someone shifted into melee in order to attack with Tackle, what would happen if their target responded with Extreme Speed, which allows them to shift after Extreme Speed as well? Would the Tackle still get to go off, or would it be a whiff?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dxjxc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I would say to apply the same rules for covering to interrupt moves that require shifting, that being that the Pokemon forfeits its next shift action.

I don't see how or why a ranged interrupt would get a shift.

If the move is used in response to a ranged move and results in the Pokemon no longer being in the targeted area, I would say it is no longer a legal target and the ranged attack continues down LOS until it hits a new target, blocking terrain, or runs out of range. If the move is used in response to a melee move and shifts out of range (such as with extreme speed), I would say the melee attack would fail.

CatfishPolitics
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
But when you use an interrupt move, you're already forfeiting your entire next turn, not just your move action. Are you saying that they should also lose their shift action for the turn after that?

The reasoning behind my ranged interrupt question was that: If you are able to shift for Extreme Speed or Shadow Sneak, both of which have keywords that require shifting, is it implied that moves with the Interrupt keyword allow their user to shift as well as perform their move? If that's the case, then can someone using a ranged move with an interrupt keyword also be able to shift when using their move?

And if not, are Extreme Speed and Shadow Sneak special exceptions that allow you to shift while doing your move? But if that's the case, then what about more typical interrupt moves like Quick Attack, Aqua Jet, or Fake Out? Those have a melee range, but no keyword to imply that they require movement. Can those only be used when the opponent declaring a move is in melee range? Or are they allowed to move as well?

I do agree that ranged interrupts probably shouldn't be able to shift, since it could lead to some really awkward kiting shenanigans, but i'm trying to find some semblance of consistency with the interrupt keyword, or advice on how others have handled it, because I know my players will try some wacky shenanigans with it.

Dxjxc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I missed the part about forfeiting the pokemon's next turn, in that case allowing a shift seems reasonable since they won't have one next turn, and all we to move in range for melee attacks without dash/pass.

As far as dealing with kiting, the Pokemon are still limited by the range of their attack and shift speed, and forfeit their next turn, so there may not be am issue. If it does becomes a problem, give the opposing Pokemon a save to reaim, use a different move, or shift within range again.

*Just ideas, I can't speak from experience as I am yet to have any.
Edited by Dxjxc, Mar 13 2018, 12:57 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR