Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About Contest EXP; This is a response to a question from the update thread
Topic Started: Mar 8 2018, 03:32 PM (226 Views)
Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
**Edit: I didn't include awarding EXP to the enemy pokemon to save on time and math. If you intend to have meaningful, recurring enemy NPCs that you wish to level as your party does and they participate in a contest, simply follow these rules for them with a slight difference. Treat all PC pokemon and non-ally NPC pokemon as enemies, and treat all allied NPC pokemon as "PC pokemon" to each other for these purposes.**

So, this started out as a PM to Destined, but I ended up putting so much work into it I decided to just post it. They had asked how to go about giving EXP for contests. I found a pretty good way to do mine (though this only works if you treat contests like important gym battles).

1-Since all pokemon in a contest should be trainer-owned, I start with awarding 2xEXP for every pokemon a PC's pokemon placed higher than. Do not award EXP for other PC's pokemon unless one places last, in which case award that pokemon's EXP as if it were wild ONLY to the next-lowest-placing PC pokemon.
2-Then award 1/2 the EXP of the pokemon that placed DIRECTLY below any PC's pokemon that maxed a judge's voltage for each time that PC pokemon did so. Do not award EXP for other PC's pokemon unless one places last, in which case award 1/2 that pokemon's EXP as if it were wild ONLY to a PC pokemon if that pokemon placed DIRECTLY above it.
3-Then Award multipliers of 1.25x, 1.5x, and 2x for 3rd, 2nd, and 1st respectively

Ex1: 6-entrant contest. 4 PCs, 2 Enemies(This ratio is likely uncommon but i wanted an example that covered all bases). All entrants are Lv5, exactly 150EXP. Bulbasaur MV1x, Chickorita MV2x, Chespin MV1x (MV=maxed voltage). The PCs place 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 6th. This is the result:

1st PC1-Bulbasaur (CHAMPION)|(Gains 150 from Turtwig+150 from Snivy+75 from MV1x= 375x2=*750EXP*) now 900, Lv9
2nd E1-Turtwig (Worth 150 ONLY to Bulbasaur)
3rd PC2-Chickorita (Worth 0 to PC pokemon)|(Gains 150 from Snivy+150 from MV2x=300x1.25=*375EXP*) now 525, Lv7
4th E2-Snivy (Worth 150 to Chickorita AND Bulbasaur)
5th PC3-Chespin (Worth 0 to PC pokemon)|(Gains 75 from Chespin+37 from MV1x=*112EXP*) now 262, Lv6
6th PC4-Treecko (Worth 75 ONLY to Chespin)|(Gains *0EXP*)

Ex2: 4-entrant contest. 1 PC, 3 Enemies. All entrants are Lv5, exactly 150EXP. Bulbasaur MV2x, (MV=maxed voltage). The PC placed 1st. This is the result:

1st PC-Bulbasaur (CHAMPION)|(Gains 150 from Turtwig+150 from Chickorita+150 from Snivy+150 from MV2x= 600x2=*1200EXP*) now 1350, Lv10
2nd E1-Turtwig (Worth 150)
3rd E2-Chickorita (Worth 150)
4th E3-Snivy (Worth 150)

Ex3: Same as Ex2, except 6 entrants and Bulbasaur got lucky and managed to MV4x

1st PC-Bulbasaur (CHAMPION)|(Gains 150 from Turtwig+150 from Chickorita+150 from Snivy+150 from Chespin+150 from Treecko+300 from MV4x= 1050x2=*2100EXP*) now 2250, Lv12
2nd E1-Turtwig (Worth 150)
3rd E2-Chickorita (Worth 150)
4th E3-Snivy (Worth 150)
5th E4-Chespin (Worth 150)
6th E5-Treecko (Worth 150)

The reason for the restrictions on awarding EXP for PC pokemon is to deter your party from all becoming contestants and getting a bunch of free EXP by competing against each other. With this method, I see about as much growth from contests as I do from Gym battles and it doesn't matter if you have multiple players that are into contests or just one. However, as you can see in the case of Ex3, sometimes the formula really works out in favor of the player if they perform very well. That's just something you'll have to watch out for and also feel free to tweak any numbers to fit your game, i just thought this was a pretty good framework. I hope this helps.
Edited by Kobeyashimaru, Mar 9 2018, 01:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Destined
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah! Thank you for the detailed analysis and reply - I love the ideas of utilizing Max Voltage to impact exp awarded, contestant placement multipliers, and the multiple examples help show this well.
I do think that the party itself shouldn't be punished as much for entering contests together, as if that's what your party wants to do then it becomes the GMs job to make them fun, interesting, and maybe a little bit challenging. Of course though, the amount of exp that one can acquire through contests is fairly high with this formula, so GMs should have them only be able to be done periodically, or to tweak the numbers as things go along.

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Destined
Mar 12 2018, 01:12 PM
I love the ideas of utilizing Max Voltage to impact exp awarded.
Thank you, I was trying to think of a way to include it without imbalancing the importance on placement and 1/2 EXP of the pokemon below you seemed the best way.
Quote:

I do think that the party itself shouldn't be punished as much for entering contests together, as if that's what your party wants to do then it becomes the GMs job to make them fun, interesting, and maybe a little bit challenging.
For sure, if your game is centered around contests or if your players decide to make it so then absolutely find a way to make it work for them. Perhaps do not include the restrictions on EXP from PC pokemon at first. Then, if your players decide they want to abuse that in a game with an important plot that doesn't center around contests, add the restriction.
Quote:

Of course though, the amount of exp that one can acquire through contests is fairly high with this formula, so GMs should have them only be able to be done periodically, or to tweak the numbers as things go along.
I believe the current formula works if you treat contests with the same importance and frequency as gyms. However, if you wanted to have them be more common I think just cutting the total in half works well.

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
As a suggestion, my group treats gym and gym-like establishments (like contests) as businesses; each having their own hours of operation. So with Contest Halls, our GM decided on specific days of the week when the Hall held competitions. Usually, it was about twice a week, but it varied depending on what town we were in. Because our characters were moving at the speed of plot, we didn't often have time to sit around waist time in-game on farming Contests for EXP/Trainer Levels.

This provided us with a clean, story-driven reason for not abusing the system, instead of a mechanical one.
Edited by Red3394, Mar 14 2018, 07:45 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR