Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I don't think I'm understanding a few concepts.; Assistance
Topic Started: Feb 28 2018, 12:54 AM (597 Views)
PastelPeaches
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have the most updated Handbook, Sun and Moon update. I play a lot of vanilla D&D and even GM, but I'm pretty confused on a couple topics.

Class system is a bit confusing to me. You start as a Pkm Trainer at level 0. I understand that much. Then at level 5, you choose one of the base classes as an addition to (and not replacing) Pkm Trainer. So theoretically if I get to level 24, then I would have Pkm Trainer, 2 Base Classes, and 1 Advanced Class? Or would I be able to take one basic class and two advanced classes? For example: Level 5 I take Breeder. Level 12 I take Evolver. Level 24 I cross-class Tag Battler. I feel like that's wrong and I would love for someone to tell me why if possible.

Cross-Classing is also a bit confusing for me. " Some classes will have multiple lists of prerequisites. You do not have to meet all of the sets of prerequisites; only one of the lists must be met in order to qualify for that Cross Classing"
-
For example Tag Battler lists, "- Pokémon Trainer, Dual Wielding, 6 loyal Pokémon, 16 ATK, 16 SATK"
-
So I only have to be a Pkm Trainer in order to become a Tag Battler? This doesn't make sense to me either. I'm assuming each comma denotes a new requirement, if I only have to reach one requirement by hitting level 5 I can already become a Tag Battler. Which is broken.

The wording for the features are throwing me off.
"When a trainer gains a level they might meet the prerequisites to gain a Trainer Class. In place of gaining a Feature that level, they may instead take a Class Feature. When you choose to take a Class Feature, you do not gain any other type of chosen Feature, as all Class Features, including Advanced Features, come with two Features to go with your new class."
-
So from what I understand the first part is self explanatory; At level 5, 12, and 24 you gain a new class. However rather than receiving a feature point I can take a new class feature from my new class. I receive this along with my two features from the new class for a total of 3 new features. However it can also be understand as only receiving one feature from the list rather than the two given.

I would appreciate any help in this as this system sounds super fun to play. I tried finding a FAQ, but I only found the one at the top of the page and that was for the forum itself.

I would love to talk to the creator and maybe rewrite the PHB to clear up some confusions. I understand the vanilla D&D PHB is so specific because they have had DECADES to refine their craft as well as a whole team to help them. At least have a FAQ spot for topics. (Its totally possible I'm just overthinking it, or I just couldn't find the FAQ, in either case my apologies).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Don't have a huge amount of time right now, but let me see if I can help! (Just as a heads up, I'm very familiar with the previous edition of TA, so if something I say conflicts with the most recent version of the PHB or GM's Guide, it's fair to assume I'm wrong)

So you start at Pkm Trainer level 0. That much you have correct. Now, in PTA the term "Pokemon Trainer" is synonymous with "Adventurer" in D&D, so being a Pokemon Trainer does not take away from your maximum number of classes.

As soon as you hit level 1, assuming you meet the class prereqs, you /can/ take a class. When you then hit level 5 you can take your second class.

This said you are not required to take a class at level one. You could instead take a feature from the "general" features list.
(Note: Taking a classes uses the "feature point" for that level, so you can't take a Feature and a Class at the same level up)
(SUB NOTE: When you use your feature point to take a class, you still get the two base features provided by the class)

Typically your first class will a base trainer class, though I suppose if you waited long enough you could meet the prereqs for an advanced trainer class' cross classing option (like the Tab Battle you listed before).

Speaking of Cross-Classing, this I /know/ is the same. The prereqs for cross classing can best be categorized into Class Requirements and Skill Requirements.

A Class Requirement is denoted by the first Term used and /usually/ refers to another class. In your example, this actually isn't the case as the reference would be "Pokemon Trainer" which in effect means that you don't need to have obtained a specific class to take it. (Remeber: Pokemon Trainer basically just means an Player Character).

A Skill Requirement would then follow the Class Requirement, denoting all the specific criteria you would need to have in order to cross class, based on the aforementioned Class Requirement. So in your example, if you are a pokemon trainer and wish to cross class directly into Tag Battle, you would need to have 6 "Loyal" Pokemon, the Dual Wielding Feature, and a 16 in both ATK and SATK.

In the way of balancing, you really have to dig deep to see why the system is broken. Yes, in theory, you could skip taking a class until you meet the prereqs for Tag Battler, but the number of levels you'd have to wait would incredible. The Prereq for Dual Wielding is having a 12 in every stat, which if you math it out... You have start with 36 points (an 11 in each stat), so you'd need to hit level 6 to bring each up to a 12. Then you need to get a 16 in ATK and SATK, so if my math is correct the earliest without invest features into stat buffs is level 14.

ANYway, I've gotta run for the time being. But I'll check back in later to answer any more questions you have, or clairify if I wasn't clear.

Hope this helps!

-Red

PastelPeaches
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you so much! This makes so much more sense :)

As far as I can tell, you were very clear in explaining. Thanks again!

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Absolutely, no problem at all! Enjoy exploring the world of pokemon with your players!

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello, friend! I finally finished my guide. I hope this helps

Dxjxc
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

In the way of balancing, you really have to dig deep to see why the system is broken. Yes, in theory, you could skip taking a class until you meet the prereqs for Tag Battler, but the number of levels you'd have to wait would incredible. The Prereq for Dual Wielding is having a 12 in every stat, which if you math it out... You have start with 36 points (an 11 in each stat), so you'd need to hit level 6 to bring each up to a 12. Then you need to get a 16 in ATK and SATK, so if my math is correct the earliest without invest features into stat buffs is level 14.

Your math is right, however acording to the charts, feats and stat points start spreading out after level 6 and 11 respectively, so it would actually be level 18 before a trainer can cross class into tag battler without using extra feats to speed it up. On the other hand, you get 2 feats at level 10 which actually means an ace trainer can take duel wielding and tag battler at the same time.

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good catch! I was writing at work, so my math was rushed, to say the least! And absolutely, it would be way faster to just take Ace Trainer if you wanted to get into Tag Battler.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR