Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help for new trainers?; Looking for help for new trainers and potential trainers.
Topic Started: Feb 21 2018, 06:39 PM (734 Views)
Kingwolfie13
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just the title of the thread. I'm looking to get into this with my old TRPG group. However with the new USUM update it's not that intuitive to even just create a trainer. Is there a good "Getting Started" guide or anything like that?

Thanks in advance!
Edited by Kingwolfie13, Feb 21 2018, 06:40 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No worries, man. I got'chu.

I've been playing for a long time and the creation process has always been a little rough to learn. So let me see if I can help!

There's a lot of your character's personal information, which is totally up to you. (Age, Sex, etc) That's the easy party

So let's start with your character's Stats on page 12 of the PHB.

"Please note that a Player’s Trainer starts out at Level 0 and do not start with a Class. They must earn their title in
whatever Class they wish to aim for."

This is different than most RPGS, since you don't actually start with a character Class. You'll still want to have your players look through the classes though, for reasons we'll get to in a moment.

"When creating your level 0 trainer, all of your Stats start at 6, and you have 30 additional points to distribute to a
maximum of 14 in any single Stat."

This is super important, since where your player place their stats will effect what classes their able to access early on in the adventure. Just like in more popular games, like D&D, your stats will have a modifier attached to them. If you're used to D&D, you already know how this works. But just incase, I'll throw give a quick explanation. If you have a stat of 10, you'll have a modifier of "+0" for each two points you add to that stat, your mod will increase by +1. So at 12, you'd have a mod of +1, at 14 +2, 16 +3, etc. However, the negatives work on a 1 to 1 ratio, so a stat of 9 will result in a minus 1, 8 is -2, 7 -3, etc.

Now the only ODD stat, is your HP. Rather than having a modifier, it's simply plugged into a formula to determine how many Hit Points you actually end up having. This formula can be found on page 11.

Usually, it's a good idea to try and have a 13 in two stats at character creation, so that you can qualify for your class of choice when you hit level 1. (note: you can't go higher than 14 in stat during character creation, so keep that in mind) You can gain these levels for a menagerie of reasons, which are all listed on page 12.

Okay, so now that you have your stats, you'll need to calc your each of your bonuses. We've already talked about HP, so let's jump into your other stats. If you're using provided character sheets, they explain pretty clearly how this works. But I'll go over it just to be safe.

Each of the stats/bonuses (perception, speed evasion, def evasion, and sp. def evasion) are related to one of your character's stats' modifiers. Usually, this will only apply if the stat is positive. The exception here is perception, which will always reflect your exact Sp. Def modifier even if it's negative.

You Overland, Surface, and Underwater are all skills that relate to how well you move through that kind of terrain, and the exact numbers for this can be found on pg. 19.

OKAY. That's the creation process for a character, basically. You also need to know how to create your player's pokemon, as each 'mon basically has their own mini character sheet. LUCKILY, this is pretty straight forward.

-Player gets the pokemon
-you (the GM) determine it's Gender, Ability, Level, and Nature.
-Have the player fill in the pokemon's base stats, then modify the "base stats" by the Nature of the pokemon by +2 to one stat and -2 to another stat. (NOTE: HP is only effected by 1, NOT 2)
---So if you have a Bulbasaur (whose base stats in order are HP 5, ATK 5, DEF 5, SPATK 7, SPDEF 7, and SPD 5), a modest nature would result in it having a 3 ATK, and a 9 SP ATK, since Modest increase SPATK by 2, and decreases ATK by 2)
-Then, add stat points to the (ADDED) column next to the Base column based on the level of the pokemon. Rule of thumb is that a pokmeon has a number of Points Equal to the pokemon's level - 1. Basically it just means that for each level your pokemon gains after level one, you get to increase one stat by one point.
-After stats, jot down the 4 most recent moves it would know based on its level.

FULL INFORMATION ON THIS CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 256 OF THE PHB and ALL POKEMON STATS ARE FOUND IN THE POKEDEX.

This should be enough to get you started. Hope this helped!

Kingwolfie13
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This was fantastically helpful. It seems more obvious now that you've explained it. It looks like the older versions all used your standard stat array I'm used to from D&D. I guess the switch to the Pokémon stats style was just throwing me off.

Now to get my group into this! (Shouldn't be that hard.) Thanks again!

Red3394
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No problem at all! I hope you and your group have a great time!

Kobeyashimaru
Member Avatar
Rules Sharpedo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello, friend! I finally finished my guide. I hope this helps

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR