Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Faster NPC Trainer Statting WIP rules
Topic Started: Feb 13 2018, 07:39 PM (490 Views)
castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
One of the most common complaints we've had in the history of PTU is just how gosh darned painful it is to stat an NPC. The PDF is, admittedly, not very helpful by just telling you to basically make the Skills make sense and pick a few representative Features with no useful guidance.

I tried my hand at alleviating this problem by putting together a way to write NPCs without having to use the same rules and Features as PCs, which means each NPC can have a smaller list of abilities but each one is much more powerful than what a PC Feature might be. This should make it easier to both pick what to use for a given NPC and to keep track of what they have. Hopefully.

I cobbled this together REAL FAST after work this evening, so it is very incomplete (if there is interest, I'll write more NPC Archetypes) and very much not balanced (pls give feedback).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cFY5BOl7FhGAQSShl9pPe8kYkTQ4Bi240XqQMMb7bjA/edit#
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheGloryXros
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I LOVE this idea, and fully support the makings of easier NPC building. Is the basic idea to do the basics of what most Classes do based on their type of specialization?

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sooort of. It's more like taking the broad aim of a build and emulating it in a small package. For example, when I was brainstorming what a "Sweeping Trainer" archetype might look like, I drew on Taskmaster, Juggler, Duelist, and Attack Ace. Obviously, I haven't decided quite what it would look like distilled into three Features or else it'd be in the doc already haha

TheGloryXros
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yea, I kinda got that idea looking at the first thing for a Versatile Trainer's Opening Advantage & some of the Combat Trainer stuff (Also, Throat Chop? Even though it's not in 1.05 yet? Not that I'm against it...)
Edited by TheGloryXros, Feb 13 2018, 10:23 PM.

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There's a gen 7 pokedex pinned in this very subforum. We (the other devs and I) may not have been the ones to assemble it, but it uses our Ability assignments for 'mons and our Move and Ability effects we released for gen 7. It may as well be official, so you should definitely be using it if you want gen 7 content in 1.05.

MrRasputin
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I really like this idea, its great to see new quick options to pull from to make an NPC trainer a bit more on par with the party. My quick solution has always been add more levels/stat points to their Pokemon but that makes for more dull battles where the trainer does nothing to contribute. So thank you for this, I am excited to see what you will continue to add

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR