Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[PTU] [Class] Blacksmith; A Professional class for PTU 1.05
Topic Started: Feb 7 2018, 10:40 AM (430 Views)
technoRomancer
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I recently went looking for any sort of Smith/Blacksmith homebrew class for a character of mine, but couldn't find anything for 1.05. So I decided to make my own! I envisioned it as a sort of hybrid combat/crafting class, leaning more towards the latter than the former. While it could fit in any kind of setting - from a modern tinker crafting guns and custom ammo, to an enterprising alchemist in a PokeMonster Hunter world - it's most obviously inspired by the medieval smiths of yore, hammer and tongs in hand pounding away at the anvil and pumping the bellows, forging sharp steel from rough ore. I welcome any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticism - Google Docs link below!

Blacksmith v.1.3
Edited by technoRomancer, Mar 11 2018, 05:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This looks like a very solid class to me - it carves out a niche while maintaining its own identity and exploring an area of the game that most classes don't touch. Have you playtested it? It seems strong to me, but I only really say that because Heart of the Forge lets you resist Fire and Steel. The only other class I can think of that come close is Apparition's Shadow Form, and that gives you Ghost weaknesses as well. Just limiting it to resisting one or the other would still leave you with a strong feature.
I also think that Strength of the Bellows really only benefits your traditional medieval blacksmith type guy. I couldn't see a gun crafter using Heavy Slam very often.
Other than that, I really like everything else. It actually looks like it should synergize very well with one of my own homebrew classes, so I might use this for a friendly NPC at some point.

Revenant
Member Avatar
Friendly Neighbourhood Dark type
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Popping in just to say I love what you've done with this! Will definitely be bookmarking this one.

technoRomancer
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the feedback! I literally just made Blacksmith yesterday. :P Maybe Heart of the Forge should provide a flat 10 DR to Fire and Steel instead of resistance, like Occultist Researcher's Mental Resistance? As a capstone Feature that feels a little lacking though... in that case I could swap HotF for one of the Techniques and buff that up as a new capstone instead. For Strength of the Bellows, I can imagine a gunsmith smacking fools who try to get in their face with a giant gatling gun or laser cannon or whatnot. ;)

Oh, I should also note - credit to Pandora, Nocturne, and WolfgangX for offering their insight and helping me work out some early kinks in the class!

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
technoRomancer
Feb 7 2018, 12:49 PM
Maybe Heart of the Forge should provide a flat 10 DR to Fire and Steel instead of resistance, like Occultist Researcher's Mental Resistance?
Perhaps. Mental Resistance only applies to Special attacks, though... but Occult Researcher sucks for a reason, and that's one of them. Flat DR should be good.
If you're worried about it not feeling like a capstone, how about giving them Guts?
Edited by l33tmaan, Feb 7 2018, 12:53 PM.

Harbringer of Insanity
Member Avatar
True Herald of Madness
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmm, this looks pretty cool. A question about Material Miser though, in what way does the reduced crafting cost stack in between the bonus and the basic effect? 70% (adding the two values directly), 60% (50% of 80% makes 40%), or not at all, leaving it at 50% if you use the daily effect?

Edit because I noted the wording: Was it intended that Material Miser's bonus effect reduced the cost of all the crafted items, not just Equipment?
Edited by Harbringer of Insanity, Feb 8 2018, 04:04 AM.

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

You learn the Move Heavy Slam and may use it as a Weapon Move, using the range of your Weapon.

I saw this and I started laughing out loud in front of my computer. Well done, nothing like slamming someone down with a rifle bullet.

technoRomancer
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
@l33tmaan: Guts seems a bit too broad. It doesn't make much sense for the Blacksmith to get powered up by Poison or Paralysis.

@Harbinger: I did not mean for the two discounts to stack, but I do intend for the passive bonus to work for any crafting Features and Edges, not just Smith. This has now been clarified.

Full changes ahead!

• Versatile Armaments has been moved from Techniques to be a full Feature and the Blacksmith's capstone ability, requiring a Master Rank skill. Your crafted Weapons can now count as two different categories, and grant both an extra Adept and Master move. You can finally make the Gunlance or Switch Axe of your dreams! I considered making switching "modes" a Swift Action, but Expert Maintenance already lets you just swap Weapons as a Swift. At the moment you simply decide what mode to use whenever you make an attack.
  • Heart of the Forge is now a Technique. It no longer provides resistance to Fire and Steel, only giving 5 DR to Fire and Burn Tick Damage (instead of complete immunity to Burn damage).
  • Strength of the Bellows has been renamed to Wind in the Bellows, and the Power/WC bonus reduced to +1. Also, it now allows you to use Heavy Slam at Weapon Range. It may not always make logical sense but it makes great thematic sense!
  • It felt weird that Lessons of Steel was now the only Tech that required another Feature. It now gives its bonus when wielding any weapon you've crafted, and in most cases will be functionally the same, but felt cleaner this way. The reduction of the Action used to Bind Artisan's Insight has now been rolled into the Feature itself, improving with higher Skill Ranks.
  • Is it silly that I find all the Techniques now fitting on one page very satisfying? :P

technoRomancer
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
l33tmaan
Feb 8 2018, 10:04 AM
Quote:

You learn the Move Heavy Slam and may use it as a Weapon Move, using the range of your Weapon.

I saw this and I started laughing out loud in front of my computer. Well done, nothing like slamming someone down with a rifle bullet.
The full force of your Smithly presence is behind that bullet! :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR