Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Capturing pokemon with Charm; Player doesn't wanna use pokeballs
Topic Started: Jan 6 2018, 11:58 PM (932 Views)
LordOfTheFatties
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have a player in my group who's really interested in building a character who uses Charm to convince most if not all pokemon to join her without needing to fight or capture them. More than anything, I'm just not sure how to handle the DCs for this kind of thing? I'm looking for an idea that is pretty flexible, and may scales with level? Or is there something that exists for this already, but I don't know where
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Are you interested in letting her take any wild Pokemon out of the fight with a Charm check?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LordOfTheFatties
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
l33tmaan
Jan 7 2018, 12:33 AM
Are you interested in letting her take any wild Pokemon out of the fight with a Charm check?
I'm not sure! She's more interested in avoiding combat and convincing a pokemon to go with her before combat breaks out, so probably not much of that.

faolan_hedgehog
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Page 215 describes raising Pokemon dispositions with the Charm skill and provides sample DCs for the Charm check. However, to make the story more interesting, perhaps have the character require that the Pokemon be at least Friendly, then involve some storytelling events that give the character an opportunity to roleplay as well as to earn the Pokemon's respect and admiration that would lead the Pokemon to wanting to be captured.

DCs are all well and good, but role-playing is more fun than roll-playing.

reterpay08
Member Avatar
¿Trainer? ¡Totes not!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SO what I am doing in my current game
-I'm allowing players to use charm or HP to measure their capture check.
-Player's can make charm rolls as per normal rules.
-Each pokemon is different, therefore the skill roll might change to change disposition.(e.g.: Arm Wrestling to impress a Machoke could use combat)
-This table is to replace the bonus given by HP for capture rolls.
Spoiler: click to toggle

-Failing to capture will result in an automatic reduction of disposition.
-Harming a pokemon before after or during a capture will result in an automatic reduction of disposition.
-Protecting a pokemon from harm will result in a improvement in disposition.

These are the guidelines that I use for the charming of pokemon in my game, but in the end its all pretty much subjective on how I roleplay the situation.

Domo
Member Avatar
Kawaii Detective
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Not fighting is pretty common, but not capturing may be an issue. Both RAW and in virtually all versions of Pokemon canon, the Pokeball denotes legal ownership. The only thing that would stop other trainers from poaching this character's Pokemon is, well, how nice you want to be as the GM.

I would personally encourage the player to play nice if that's what they want to do, but remind them that any Pokemon not registered to a ball is technically wild, and other parts of the universe may not be accommodating to someone with a train of wild Pokemon following them around.

Callinectes
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Ranger's Styler charms a wild Pokemon to your service temporarily, but it remains wild and the Ranger does not train it.

Depending on the fluff you've written for your setting, the function of Pokemon-related technology might make their use essential to the organisation of trainer activities. For example:

A Pokeball is synced to its owner's Pokedex, so when it successfully captures a Pokemon the trainer can align their lenses and register their new ownership. There's no way any gym or league will permit a trainer to use an unregistered or wild Pokemon in an official event. The registry also makes it easier for law enforcement identify trainers who have just gone renegade by the Pokemon they use, and it makes trading safe: those large trading machines simultaneously exchange registry data via secure encrypted channels, so that neither party can take their new Pokemon and walk away with their old one, and so that hackers can't alter the registry data to someone else. It's also the only way that the subliminal training programs run by the ball can be tuned to a new Pokedex's settings so that the Pokemon's loyalty is more likely to shift with its understanding of its new trainer.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR