Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Tabletop v3.0; Another take at PMD tabletop, in alpha
Topic Started: Dec 3 2017, 10:52 PM (1,630 Views)
FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Making a PMD tabletop has been a hobby of mine. After two different iterations, I've decided to create a system from scratch that isn't converted from PTU. Right now it is a very rough alpha draft, but there's enough there to start playtesting. To that end, I am looking for both feedback on the system and people willing to help me out with refining it further.

Without further ado, here is the system. Comments are enabled on all docs.

Thanks to 13thsyndicate for helping with Moves.

Patch Notes
Edited by FanaticRat, Dec 15 2017, 07:58 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DJW
Member Avatar
Rival
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is very nice. I like how it has moved into its own system at this point. Didn't it begin as almost a splatbook that just used a slightly modified version of the basic PTU rules?

FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
More or less, yes. I started with modifying TheBlackGlove's homebrew and have been trying to make my own thing since.

Right now I'm trying to work making status effects more appealing without making them broken. My current plan is to add more on miss effects, but I don't know

Sgt. Cookie
Member Avatar
Not sure what's going on
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Why not just have the status effect occur for one round even on a miss? Seems like it'd make 'em more valuable.

FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sgt. Cookie
Dec 10 2017, 10:16 AM
Why not just have the status effect occur for one round even on a miss? Seems like it'd make 'em more valuable.
I might try that, but it seems pretty powerful. At the very least I'll give it a playtest.

FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated. I added more feats, an additional status, and filled out more moves. Negative status moves now have on miss effects and status is nastier. Also added an additional guild perk.

FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another update. Made the following changes

• Changed some wording in documents. Ticks are now defined
  • Removed the ability to use status moves with Bombs Away and nerfed the range. Now starts at blast 2
  • Changed Get Over Here! to proc its effect on a free action instead of a save.
  • Changed Wallbuster to be a swift action instead of shift
  • Edited type advantages to say that steel types are immune to poison and badly poisoned.
  • Updated the text on u-turn, volt switch, and venom Drench.

Soon I plan to rewrite the document for better clarity and order, as well as revisit enemy rules and include templates for easier statting.

DJW
Member Avatar
Rival
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Watching its progress with interest. Will there be a playtest game?

FanaticRat
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes there will be. I've already ran a few one shot playtests but I plan to run a mini campaign sometime next month. In the meantime, feel free to run playtests of your own! I do need feedback from other gms to get more perspectives on how people run the game and what rules are clear or not.
Edited by FanaticRat, Dec 19 2017, 12:31 PM.

Darkwarrior101
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I plan on trying to run a The West Marches Mystery Dungeon campaign eventually and I've been looking for something like this, thank you so much!
I'll definitely give this some playtests.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR