Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Food in the Pokemon Universe; How to handle food
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 12:31 AM (1,680 Views)
Castiel77
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, just wondering how you guys handle food in your universes. Especially meats. I know the anime has sometimes referenced humans eating pokemon, and other times just slid unidentifiable meats in there. How do you handle this?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Elemental Knight
Member Avatar
Knight of the Spread Sheet
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Because I am a futurist hippy - and because I tend to see most Pokemon as at or near human intelligence - I subscribe to the idea that, in the modern Pokemon world, people have artificial meat. This means that all the burgers and steaks that people eat are based on Pokemon DNA, but are not actual Pokemon that were raised and slaughtered solely for the purpose of being eaten.

I'm sure that they did eat Pokemon in the past; ones like Magikarp and Miltank seem built for that purpose. But we know that the Pokemon world has more advanced cloning technology than our own: they made Mewtwo, after all. I figure that technology can't be exclusive to Team Rocket's laboratories, and even at a step or two down, it'd be capable of making a nice rack of ribs.

Dark Shadow
Member Avatar
Reploid
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've done a few different versions in my games. Some have other animals, while in others people will eat more 'standard' Pokémon. And by 'standard', I mean the ones closest to what humans eat in our actual world - So there'd be Miltank, or Basculin, or things like that, but you'd never find something like a Machamp or Alakazam to eat.

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rules of nature, everything eats everything. Sucker punch a Druddigon until its teeth fall out for Razor Fangs, find a Chansey's nest for Lucky Eggs, things like that. People eat the pokemon that corresponds to the animals we might eat, pokemon eat other pokemon, things like that. It makes me feel bad for grass pokemon, but someone has to be on the bottom of the food chain and I remember enough middle school biology to know it has to be Oddish.

Chimerat
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In my games there are no non-Pokémon Animals, so people eat them. Mainly it's based on Types. Normal, (Non-Poison) Grass and Water generally being the most likely.

faolan_hedgehog
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've come to the forgone conclusion that there absolutely are regular animals in addition to Pokemon. After all, just think about the hundreds of thousands of animal species that exist in the real world, while there are just barely 800 Pokemon species, including Legendaries. In addition, the Category of many animalistic Pokemon (for example, the category of Vulpix is "the Fox Pokemon") mention real-world animals. How could humans possibly have these terms for Pokemon categories if the animals themselves didn't exist somewhere? There's also plenty of evidence in the core media that support the existence of ordinary animals:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pok%C3%A9mon_world

Now the question is: Why don't animals make a more common appearance? Simple. Because we don't play Pokemon to encounter real-world animals. They're too ordinary and boring compared to Pokemon. Most of the domesticated animals are probably in some sort of farming operation away from where the games take place.

Finally, I never consider Pokemon to be ordinary animals: they're too intelligent, supernatural, and in many cases artificial. There's no way all Pokemon are mere animals when you look at Pokemon like Klinklang or Gardevoir. There are Pokemon that resemble animals, but even they aren't stupid beasts by any means.

zilzmaer
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
While I support the idea of eating Sharpedo fin soup or a nice Miltank steak, one has only to look at the plant life to determine there are probably normal animals, too. Long grass, trees, weird trees that only Pokemon can cut, longer grass with different encounter tables (or, as I like to call it, "raptor grass"), another kind of tree that you can headbutt, multiple kinds and colors of flowers... And that's just the main line of video games. If there's that much diversity of (non-Grass type Pokemon) plant life, there's going to be diversity of animal life, too.

Cocopuffs
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm mostly handwaving it in my campaign a bit by there being normal animals, but they're not easy to find out in the wild (aside from fish, because there are just so many kinds of fish in real world Hawaii that Alola has a ton of fish like that as well). Most normal animals are farm raised because they just don't survive too long in the wild because of Pokemon, normal animals really only thrive in areas without predatory Pokemon.

Slowpoke tails are definitely a thing, though, as are some other weird Pokemon-based foods, but nothing that would require the actual death of a Pokemon to make.

Zen
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In my campaign's setting we figure that non-pokemon animals absolutely exist (because of biodiversity, as someone else mentioned)....but mostly only very small/numerous species that wouldn't be entirely outcompeted by pokemon in terms of ecological niche. Insects, basic fish, that kind of thing.

As to food, we figure that people absolutely USED to eat pokemon earlier in the setting's history, but in the modern day human society at large has come to find this deeply awkward to the point that the vast majority of people are vegetarians, and mostly feed even their carnivorous pokemon with vegetable-based fake meat with the nutrients and such (that those pokemon need meat for) artificially added.

djtooth
Member Avatar
Mechanics Exploiter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My campaign I treat it as there are no mundane animals, but mundane plants do exist. Mechanically, people eat farm raised animals to be guilt free. Pokemon are able to hunt for food freely in any environment they have nature-walk in without any risk. (Hunting down trivial level Pokemon)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR