Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Maelstrom/Water Ace Build Help
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 10:26 AM (317 Views)
MayaKit
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Back at it again asking for build help.
I am planning on making a Maelstrom/Water Ace for a friend's "War of the Prefectures" style campaign. My character concept is a fisherwoman who has a horsea partner as starter. Trouble I'm having is I'm not sure what would best complement it. I'm looking at survivalist, but I'm also noticing that I would be hurting for actions if I took an active pokemon support class. What might be suggested for my last two classes?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That depends on what you want to be. Maelstrom and Water Ace should synergize well enough for you to not need to worry about being effective in combat, but do you want to be better in a fight, or rely more on your pokemon? Could you tell us some more about your character first?

MayaKit
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
To be honest, I do not have much more character in mind. She is likely self-sufficient, a young adult, no longer with parents.
Cultural background: the island she is from favors water, psychic and fairy types, and venerates the lake trio. They are primarily scholars, though have some naval prowess.
Campagin notes: Contests and contest classes and most of the Porygon splat are banned, Rune Master is banned, Blessed and Damned is by gm permission only. Alchemy from GoT is also not present.

MayaKit
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Also, we are limited to 3 pokemon.

Given the setting, I want a balance of trainer combat and pokemon support

djtooth
Member Avatar
Mechanics Exploiter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Horsea is a great tank early with its high defense. And it was pointed out to me that water elementalist can be a good off tank if you invest in HP and SPA. First thing, I would talk to the DM about the "Fish out of water syndrome" Look at the fish pokemons overland capabilities. If combat movement is a mechanic in your campaign, you might have to rely on jumping to get around (Splash will help here).
As for build im assuming your skills are Athletics and Acrobatics.

For a Battler focus I would try to find a way to fit in Rider. Agility training early is valuable, but finding aquatic ride-able pokemon is gonna take some improvisation. Maybe talk to your GM about allowing you to use features while the pokemon are riding you. if the campaign has a lot of water traveling you could hold onto seadra as a mount. Athlete is great for boosting your stats, and adrenaline Rush is wonderful for tanking. Skill order is Athletics > Acrobatics

For pokemon support focused build I would suggest Ace Trainer and either Speed or Special Attack Ace and you have a pokemon focused build that isn't action heavy so you can still use your Elementalist Features. Skill order Athletics > Command > Acrobatics

For a hybrid build maybe a battling style class like duelist since water pokemon have great coverage. Statically Exploit is great for water pokemon, and with their resistances tolerance isn't bad. Also the evasion and accuracy bonuses will help a lot. And Athlete because of how well it helps you and your pokemon.

For pokemon I would do the following

Battler: Mantine (Primary Mount), Kingdra, Lapras This includes really bulky pokemon without sacrificing damage. Speed can be neglected since Rider will more than make up for it.

Support: Lumineon, Kingdra, Starmie
This build features pokemon that both hit hard and are hard to hit. With heavy speed and Special attack if your opponents get a turn, they will likely waste it trying to hit your pokemon's evasion.

Hybrid: Whiscash, Seadra, Ludicolo
Here you want to capitalize on your pokemon's type coverage, and really get the mileage from water ace's fishbowl technique.

For later in the game, keep in mind that fishbowl technique can effect non-water type pokemon. So try to get the moves Thunder or Hurricane on your roster. Also abilities like Water Absorb, Dryskin, and Storm Drain synergies very well with your water attacks. Especially if they are AoE then you can benefit your pokemon while still dealing damage.

MayaKit
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Question: Was the Seadra over Kingdra in the Hybrid set deliberate?

Also: If I wanted to do Survivalist, where might that fit in? Or is that a little too spread out?

djtooth
Member Avatar
Mechanics Exploiter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It was just an oversight on mypart. Kingdra is straight better than Seadra.
Survivalist actually synergies well with Water Elementalist. It can be substituted for Athlete.
Non of these builds however are hard set, and it might be a few levels because you have taken all four of your classes,because you are going to need to get your Water Ace and elementalist features.

MayaKit
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for your help. I think I know what I plan to do now. (Here comes that sweet 17 swim speed). Still torn between Ace trainer and Duelist, but I think either seems to fit well, just need to plan around trying to keep fishbowl meaningful, as well as Kingdra in range of enemies.

I really appreciate the team suggestions, too. helps me narrow down what I want to do.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR