Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[PTU] Extremely Unofficial PTU 1.05 'Balance Patch'; And/or Expansion Pak/32x/64DD
Topic Started: Jun 23 2017, 11:32 AM (11,372 Views)
Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
NOTE: Feel free to peruse these posts, but I won't be updating them any more - unless I just really feel like it. The character limit is kind of creeping up on them, and it's kind of a pain to browse through anyway, so I've moved the actual in-progress edits to a Google Docs file. You're still more than welcome to comment on stuff in here, and I'd prefer it if you did! I'll add ability to comment on the Google Doc itself if it's requested, but tbh I'll check here way more often and it'll be more obvious, probably.

So there've been a lot of musings about how X Class is weaker than the rest, and with the advent of the knowledge that PTU will be getting a reboot instead of continuing on to 1.06, I decided to post my own fixings that I use in my games. I've already got 'em sitting around, so why not? Note, I am not at all related to the Developers of PTU in any way. I think forever ago I said something about Survivalist's Urban Terrain Talent granting a bonus to Jump, and that got in, and that's about as much impact as I've had on this system. Still, I like to think I've developed a...decent grip on balance and mechanics, but you be the judge.

These changes mostly deal with Classes from the core book and Game of Throhs, along with a few Moves, and maybe a couple of Abilities. Now, to note, I tried not to directly -nerf- any Classes here, I only buffed the weaker Classes or Features and adjusted some of the outdated ones to match the newer playtests. There are a few that I think might warrant nerfs, but I haven't seen too many of those in action, so it's hard to judge. Note that my release of this doesn't mean I think the core game is horridly unplayable or anything of the sort, these are just changes I've used that have gone over well with my players.

Most of these changes have been playtested, and the ones that haven't been should still be fine. Coordinator and Style Expert received some slightly more significant changes; all the Contest stuff is still there, but since those are so rare, there are also more Battle effects. I'll be listing entire Classes here, even if I only changed a couple of Features, but it's all in Spoiler tags and the changes are for the most part listed in the Patch Notes down below, so forgive me. One last caveat: I generally allow all Classes to grant Stat Tags, as my games involve a heavier slice of Trainer Combat and fantasy aspects than most, so if you see them on a Class you don't believe should get them(such as, Coordinator), feel free to ignore them.

This will be continued in a 2nd and 3rd post bc fuck me this is too long for even TWO posts.

HP Change: HP is no longer incorporated into Base Stat Relation. It does not need to remain below other Stats, and other Stats do not need to remain below it. I highly recommend using this change even if you use absolutely nothing else in this entire 'patch'. For most Pokemon, this just enables slightly easier tanking capabilities. For some, like Diglett, it literally makes them at all viable.

Small Changes

'Patch Notes'

CORE STUFF PART 1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheerleader

Enduring Soul

Dragon Ace

Researcher Branches

Chronicler

Fashionista
Edited by Thrice, Dec 3 2017, 12:55 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
CORE STUFF PART 2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coordinator

Rider

Juggler

Fairy Ace

Fighting Ace

Psychic Ace
Edited by Thrice, Nov 26 2017, 09:07 PM.

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
CORE STUFF PART 3

Athlete

Roughneck

Survivalist

Commander

Style Expert

Sage

Ninja

Oracle
Edited by Thrice, Nov 26 2017, 08:49 PM.

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
GAME OF THROHS STUFF----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth Shaker

Stone Warrior

Marksman

Rune Master

Arcanist

Shade Caller

Apparition

Arcane Weapon Moves

MISC. STUFF----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Altered Status Afflictions

Altered Abilities

New/Altered Edges

New/Altered General Features

New Books

Altered Moves

If you read any of that at all, thank you. If you didn't, I don't blame you. Anyway, you're free to give feedback or use this stuff or not, up to you. If you think there's anything I missed, or something that's still weak or now too strong, point it out and I'll see if I can take a swipe at it.

I'll probably be coming up with even more Edges and Features in the near future, but no guarantee.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't do anything to Dancer, it's because...well, I wanted to incorporate the new Abilities from Generation 7, but I felt that would be much more like a complete retooling of the Class, and far less like a balancing patch.

EDIT: Moved the Patch Notes to the first post, for easier reference.

Thanks to: djtooth and Rhydis! And all my players for putting up with this while it's in the testing phases.
Edited by Thrice, Nov 26 2017, 09:10 PM.

Zen
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
At a glance, pretty interesting stuff. Also at a glance: You mention Roughneck in the patch notes, but you seem to have forgotten to include the actual details of it :P

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whoops, it was in between Juggler and Survivalist - I must've missed it in the copy over from Evernote. It's there now!

Zen
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, it was on a boundary between posts, I can kinda see how that happened :P

Meanwhile: Your version of Adaptable Performance is...pretty interesting, takes a moment to wrap your head around what you can do with it. I approve conceptually. Possibly alarmingly powerful, not sure - almost feels like a capstone. Teach Earthquake, you now have access to a Scene Burst 3 attack of the type of any move on your movelist, chosen at the time. Similar shenanigans with Surf. In general lets you come up with all manner of improvised "signature techniques" without being an Ace Trainer. Or you can combine Swift with high power/low AC moves. Cool stuff. One question:
Quote:

Choose two of your Pokémon's Moves with a Damage Base.

Quote:

treat Self Moves as AC2

I feel like one of these shouldn't be in here? :P

EDIT: Oh, and another queston: How does it interact with the Frequency of the two moves in question? Consumes both? (e.g. so if they're both Scene moves, you can't use either of them afterwards)

(In my own group, we just allow Adaptable Performance in battle to let you swap contest types, the same as in Contests - significant only for Style Experts, but still better than nothing)
Edited by Zen, Jun 23 2017, 03:12 PM.

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, that got carried over from an older version that didn't require DBs, I think. Now THAT was too strong. And, yeah, I think it likely should consume the Frequency of both - I should replace the "Can't use either Move on the next turn of Battle" clause with that one.

Zen
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ha, right, I can see how that could have been too far - Thunder Wave Earthquake! Water Sport Aqua Ring!

Roughneck is interesting. I take it you felt its move-enhancements didn't shape up compared to Provocateur's? I can see it for Leer, certainly, and having access to a pseudo-Roar is interesting (though possibly not in keeping with the general semi-tank playstyle of the class).

In my group, the main thing about Roughneck we've toyed with changing (and not really for balance reasons) is just allowing some or all of the class run off "Athletics or Intimidate" rather than only Intimidate. A ton of classes can run off Intimidate; Athletics gets much less love - and it allows Roughneck to share a skill with Enduring Soul, which seems thematic. Possibly still needing Intimidate for the most 'social skill' parts (Glare, Mean Look, arguably Fearsome Display and Menace)? *shrug*
Edited by Zen, Jun 24 2017, 06:34 AM.

Thrice
Member Avatar
Mysticalman
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, it didn't compare well to Provocateur, which got effects of similar power to Roughneck's 2 AP Swift Action feature as static bonuses with a Spirit Surge(as in, work on hit or miss) effect. The Feat was also just a little lacking compared to other Classes with similar Feats, like Miasmic. Leer's effect is what it is because it fits in with Intimidate - scaring 'em away and all. And hey, sometimes tanks need to get people away from them and their allies! Also I wanted to give any reason to actually use Leer without copying Provocateur.

I considered making Athletics a bigger part of the Class, but I tried to leave Prereqs across the board mostly the same, so I didn't end up doing it here. Feel free to, though, it's not a bad idea, as like you said, there are a lot of Classes who can run with Intimidate, but an Athletics-focused fighter is kind of shoehorned into a few Classes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR