Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
1.05 + Playtest Packets
Topic Started: Feb 23 2015, 11:31 PM (23,962 Views)
Doxy
Member Avatar
The PTU Guy
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Well, alright, it's only been a year since 1.04 came out. But it sure feels like much longer, doesn't it? Well, worry not, 1.05 is finally here!

Here you go, folks!

EDIT: And here are the playtest packets!
- May: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gj9iazqjb67wt8l/PTU+May+2015+Playtest+Packet.pdf
- September: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1hda5bciz5enn55/PTU+September+2015+Playtest+Packet.pdf
- February: http://www.mediafire.com/file/urbd0w84z05uxbi/Feb+2016+v2.zip

Cast: Just borrowing Dox's post to say that typo reports go in this form!

zoof: I tried to hyperlink the RIP Scuba Steve and it didn't work, so just pretend you can click it to get this. http://youtu.be/X2WH8mHJnhM?t=3m13s
Edited by Doxy, Feb 15 2017, 01:46 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Now to read it over tea and biscuits some time.

Flamewolf9
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yay!!! New shinies. Thanks for the hard work. Time to stay up all night.

Lockdown
Member Avatar
I SEEE YOUUUU
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
... so for some reason you guys decided to remove Medic entirely, and not even actually replace it. Can you give an actual justification for this?

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lockdown
Feb 23 2015, 11:43 PM
... so for some reason you guys decided to remove Medic entirely, and not even actually replace it. Can you give an actual justification for this?
First of all, wow, why such the confrontational tone? I don't think that's really called for here, and you'll generally find we're a lot happier fielding questions and explaining our reasoning if you start off on the right foot instead of instantly treating us like we're the bad guys.

This is a fairly complex issue, but at the root of it is the dissatisfaction we have with the healing dynamic in the game and the power of in-battle healing in particular, as it has the potential to make fights drag on even longer than they usually do in PTU. If you'll notice with the buff to First Aid Kits (they do the equivalent of the old First Aid Feature) and the power of the new First Aid Expertise Feature, out-of-battle healing was given a slight boost.

From a design perspective, Medic has always frustrated us, which you can tell by the drastic changes we've made to it over time. Really, only the Stay With Us! Feature remained very constant over time, and honestly, that got so little use in a typical PTU campaign that it wasn't worth keeping either. With Researcher, you can make restorative items pretty cheaply if you do need that in-battle healing, but we did want to put stricter limits on how much of that you could do without either dedicating your Pokémon to it or spending lasting resources.

Hope that helps.

Lockdown
Member Avatar
I SEEE YOUUUU
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Medic is a class that was integral to over half of the characters I'm currently running; and seeing it ripped out and replaced with some of the features from Scientist and what amounts to a paltry band-aid is irksome. And to be honest, the changelog doesn't give an explanation for why you're making the changes you've decided to implement, which means that a lot of what's been done seems arbitrary until the devs actually deign to explain themselves. Which compounds frustrations.

To be frank I've never had the issue you're talking about when dealing with Medic in any of the games I've participated in or in the one I'm running currently.
Edited by Lockdown, Feb 24 2015, 12:14 AM.

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All I can say there is that putting together a changelog that discusses our reasoning for changing each of dozens of Classes in detail is not an endeavor we have the time for. Even this current changelog has a couple errors due to things changing over time (for example, I'll be posting what ideas we had for boss-slaying features in the homebrew section later - we couldn't make them work for an official release).

Either way, the lack of an extremely comprehensive changelog doesn't justify coming in with a confrontational and hostile attitude.

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll just quietly note that, from what I've seen, in the campaigns I've observed, the only incentive to ever take Medic was the Therapeutic Care (the one that doubles natural healing), and beyond that, Medic is essentially meaningless.

While that's nearly neither here nor there, I have to ask what the Scuba Steve joke is about.

(I've speed-read up to the classes; I'll probably read the rest later as it's tired and I need to be a bit more alert and focused to take in stuff past that.)

edit: neither, not nearly
see, I told you I was tired
Edited by DNA, Feb 24 2015, 12:23 AM.

Doxy
Member Avatar
The PTU Guy
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DNA
Feb 24 2015, 12:23 AM
I have to ask what the Scuba Steve joke is about.
Because Tidedrinker sounded like someone was really into the flavor of laundry detergent, we were trying to rename water elementalist

and for a long while we called it Scuba Steve.

Lockdown
Member Avatar
I SEEE YOUUUU
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I apologize for the aggravated tone. I was already a bit tired myself when I posted and seeing what had been done was something of a shock. I'd sort of assumed that Therapeutic Care at least would be preserved.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR