Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[PTU] [Alpha_0.0.0 - Build 17] Tabletop Software Designed specificly for PTU; Version Beta_0.0.1 - Build 1 Delayed... It is coming... Maybe
Topic Started: Jan 30 2017, 05:00 PM (10,476 Views)
AssaultBird2454
Member Avatar
Programmer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have started to make a program to make Running PTU Easier... for me anyway.

I was running a game of PTU back last year, some friends and I started to play this with me being the GM, then about ten minutes in after the Players kicking oak in the leg, the game crashed and burned when I choked on the battle mechanics :(

I started to write a piece of software that helps with running this game where it will handle everything for you except that you have the story, and create the characters.

I was planning to add the following features to the application.
- Resource Manager (A file that contains all the Maps, Tokens, Objects, Sprites, Sound and Music e.c.t)
- Virtual Tabletop (A grid with the background as the map)
- The Tokens and Objects will snap to the grid (Can be disabled by clicking the object)
- Tokens/Objects Movement (Grid spaces that the token/object can move to will be highlighted, tokens can also select other grid spaces but the GM will be prompted to allow the movement)
- Programmable Events and Hiding Regions (When players/Pokémon e.c.t enter a region it can trigger actions)
- Play a sound Track
- Change Map
- Move Damage is automatically be calculated (Save Time with selecting the move and letting the app do its work)
- Damage can be modified by the GM if needed
- Generate Pokémon on the spot for a wild encounter

This project is open source for people to modify and stuff through the GitHub Repo Here
This project has a Roadmap on Trello, See whats next or whats being developed Here
aswell as a discord server that people can join to see how the development is going aswell as to serve as a central place for all developers to coordinate. Want to join, Here is the invite

Versions / Releases

There was some other stuff below... but I accidently deleted it, I don't remember what it was.
Edited by AssaultBird2454, Apr 4 2018, 03:33 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheGloryXros
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
HECK YEA, especially if it can give us some of the big stuff we who use Roll20 miss out on by not having subscriptions.
I'd also suggest possibly working in a way to have some of the other really useful campaign tools people have made in these forums to be usable within the program (the Character Sheets, Loot Generators, Trainer Generators, etc)
Also, I'd hope we can add our own music into the program for OSTs, and possibly set them for what situations we want them to play(set playlists for Wild Battles, Trainer Battles, Gym Battles, specific characters)

AssaultBird2454
Member Avatar
Programmer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
TheGloryXros
Jan 30 2017, 05:58 PM
HECK YEA, especially if it can give us some of the big stuff we who use Roll20 miss out on by not having subscriptions.
I'd also suggest possibly working in a way to have some of the other really useful campaign tools people have made in these forums to be usable within the program (the Character Sheets, Loot Generators, Trainer Generators, etc)
Also, I'd hope we can add our own music into the program for OSTs, and possibly set them for what situations we want them to play(set playlists for Wild Battles, Trainer Battles, Gym Battles, specific characters)

Yea... to address the Roll20 stuff, I am planning on adding that kind of stuff, as I would love to be able to make a dark maze that the players cant see, and even better make a mini map function so they cant actually see the entire map but as they explore it will reveal stuff on a separate minimap or something like that...

As to the music thing. I have implemented importing sound files and allow the GM to play the sounds. I will latter be working on a function that allows you to make the sound files play seamlessly by you specifying the position in the file to start the loop and where the loop goes to, so when it gets close to the end it will add the section to loop on to the end of the current stream. I would love to add all the OST's by Default. but I don't have the right to distribute them (I payed for the ORAS, HGSS and B2W2 Sound files off iTunes)

The save file is @ 900MB with sounds and sprites (Still adding Moves, Pokémon and stuff... I have a long way to do xD)

TheGloryXros
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Will you make changes to it once 1.06 is out?

Nicklas
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
yes plz I would love to have this even just to play around with

The Black Glove
Member Avatar
A Man Of Heart
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This sounds like a fantastic idea, and I love it. Here are a few of my requests/suggestions.

For music/soundtracks, the ability to loop music or adjust the volume for yourself (as opposed to raising/lowering it for everybody) would be much appreciated.

A text chat function for players to speak in for those who don't use voice chat programs to run games. Presumably, this would be in the same place roll results go.

A way to set an elevation for things would be great, so aerial combat and props like bridges can be easier to read and more visually appealing for those who use sprite sets.

Having tools to track things like training effects and status conditions would be nice. Especially if you could see all stat/condition modifiers just by moving your mouse over the token. Maybe even macros for class features/edges that subtract your AP for you or make additional die rolls before declaring the effects in chat, which could be customized for the player based on what they have access to? For that matter, being able to support macros for GMs who run more homebrew-heavy setups would be nice. For example, maybe you don't want to run Core Ace Trainer, or a player wants to play as a homebrew class. Or maybe you want to run a campaign that requires an additional resource tracker, such as a radiation counter for a fallout-themed game. Little things like that.

...okay, maybe that last one would be a very big thing.

Above all, it needs to be easy to use and read. If you can manage that, the rest will follow.

thedanster7000
Member Avatar
Galactic Grunt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What language are you writing this in? I might be able to give you a hand with some grunt work if I have time.

AssaultBird2454
Member Avatar
Programmer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am currently Working on just the save file and all the moves so the image somewhere on this post is a teaser for the Save Editor... Not The Client, and basic UI (No Fancy Animations and Graphics ATM)

Quote:

Will you make changes to it once 1.06 is out?

Yes

Quote:

yes plz I would love to have this even just to play around with

Only when there is a good enough version out for you :P

Quote:

This sounds like a fantastic idea, and I love it. Here are a few of my requests/suggestions.

For music/soundtracks, the ability to loop music or adjust the volume for yourself (as opposed to raising/lowering it for everybody) would be much appreciated.

A text chat function for players to speak in for those who don't use voice chat programs to run games. Presumably, this would be in the same place roll results go.

A way to set an elevation for things would be great, so aerial combat and props like bridges can be easier to read and more visually appealing for those who use sprite sets.

Having tools to track things like training effects and status conditions would be nice. Especially if you could see all stat/condition modifiers just by moving your mouse over the token. Maybe even macros for class features/edges that subtract your AP for you or make additional die rolls before declaring the effects in chat, which could be customized for the player based on what they have access to? For that matter, being able to support macros for GMs who run more homebrew-heavy setups would be nice. For example, maybe you don't want to run Core Ace Trainer, or a player wants to play as a homebrew class. Or maybe you want to run a campaign that requires an additional resource tracker, such as a radiation counter for a fallout-themed game. Little things like that.

...okay, maybe that last one would be a very big thing.

Above all, it needs to be easy to use and read. If you can manage that, the rest will follow.

Thanks for all the suggestions... i will add them to the list, you mentioned a large feature... i will be adding that in latter versions, i am currently making an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) Version

And with the sound tracks being looped, When you run the server all the clients will need to be given or download the resource file, the server will tell the clients when to play and what, and the clients handle the rest. the chat is a great Idea and i also will leave the volume of the sounds up to the user changing it in windows volume controller.

Ask anything else if you need thanks for this

Quote:

What language are you writing this in? I might be able to give you a hand with some grunt work if I have time.

C# using .NET

I would love help xD
if you want to help email me and i will give more detail. it is currently hosted in VisualStudios Online. i plan to move to GitHub latter when the project is more finished

BTW, You need discord as This is my Primary Messaging Platform (I dont have FB and Twitter)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Capture.png (63.13 KB)
Edited by AssaultBird2454, Jan 31 2017, 09:56 PM.

Moriya
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I would recommend that you take a look at some of the Roll20 utilities and other automatic generation tools that already exist. If you're desperate for new features (not likely, I know), they might provide inspiration. I've appropriated some of EK's Google Docs of data for my own purposes, you might be able to do something similar and save yourself some work.

AssaultBird2454
Member Avatar
Programmer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Moriya
Jan 31 2017, 10:17 PM
I would recommend that you take a look at some of the Roll20 utilities and other automatic generation tools that already exist. If you're desperate for new features (not likely, I know), they might provide inspiration. I've appropriated some of EK's Google Docs of data for my own purposes, you might be able to do something similar and save yourself some work.
I forgot to add that i am planing to add Auto Map Generation to the program... I have wanted to do a game with some friends like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon xD

But thanks for reminding me about that

Also i am up for anything to save me time in the development of this... but some of the data needs to be hand written like the moves and ability

Quote:

If you're desperate for new features (not likely, I know)

I am pretty sure that i will be fine with all the suggestions atm xD but suggestions can be added to the list of things that will be added latter... but thanks for acknowledging that i might be loaded with ideas atm
Edited by AssaultBird2454, Feb 2 2017, 11:23 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop Homebrew · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR