Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
PokeDex and Pokemon generator (UPDATE: Beta 0.9.2); Completely User Editable Pokemon Generator
Topic Started: Oct 3 2016, 12:25 AM (21,437 Views)
KakugaGoka
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
PokeGenesis

I have been working on a pokedex/pokemon generator the can be changed by the user at any point. The pokemon's data, the Items generated with the pokemon, and habitats and type are even editable. They are editable becauase all of the sorted data is written out in the XML files in the Data folder. This is the closest to english as most scripts come and should be fairly understandable for users to edit.

My group liked it enough that they told me I should share it with the community here. So, here it is.
If you use it, all I ask is for some constructive feedback. Any bugs you find and maybe some features to add in my future updates.

Here is the link!

BETA 0.9.2 (MediaFire)
BETA 0.9.2 (Google Drive)

Also, here is a nice spreadsheet made by Magyk to make region creation easier.
Magyk's Region Maker for PokeGenesis

Old Builds
Update Change List

Just to double ensure credit is given where credit is due:
All credit for the Pokemon Animations go to PkParaiso.com.
All credit and rights to the Item Images and Sound files go to The Pokemon Company.
All UI images and Code are credited to my staff and I (KakugaGoka).
OGG files played using the NAudio and NVorbis Libraries.
JSON export done using Newtonsoft.JSON Libraries.
JSON info files and Roll20 sheet compliments of CWStra.

Edited by KakugaGoka, May 8 2017, 09:40 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kaede11
Unlucky GM
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is awesome.
It is a great tool, thanks for sharing.

I will edit this post later to ask some things and make one or two suggestions.
As I said, great work and thanks!

SonusAnima
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whoa. This tool is awesome. Really convenient to use while GMing, especially for tabletop guys like me.

I know tis is a very early build, but it's already very robust. Amazing job. It's a really great generator and overall checkup tool, and getting handy with the XML to edit it is a cinch. The only thing I'd like to see added (or haven't figured out how to access if it's already there) is viewing more than 1 pokémon at once.

A small suggestion? To make it more visually appealing, try changing that grey to a desaturated beige of say... around 40-60% value. A lot easier on the eyes and improves readability.
Edited by SonusAnima, Oct 3 2016, 10:23 AM.

KakugaGoka
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

The only thing I'd like to see added (or haven't figured out how to access if it's already there) is viewing more than 1 pokémon at once.

Could you expand upon this for me? I am very curious as to what you mean.

Quote:

A small suggestion? To make it more visually appealing, try changing that grey to a desaturated beige of say... around 40-60% value. A lot easier on the eyes and improves readability.

A beige might actually work, I will give it a shot. I will say that the next update will have a different color for the "screens" as I have changed that about 5 or 6 times and haven't gotten a color scheme that quite fits yet. (Probably because I am not an artist or a UI designer by any means haha)

Thanks for your feedback though. :)

SonusAnima
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Could you expand upon this for me? I am very curious as to what you mean.

I only just found out I can cycle between generated Pokémon using the small arrows near its name. I think some UI redesign will be needed in later iterations. Function wise, this program is incredibly cool and I'll begin using it on tabletops whenever I can.

Quote:

A beige might actually work, I will give it a shot. I will say that the next update will have a different color for the "screens" as I have changed that about 5 or 6 times and haven't gotten a color scheme that quite fits yet. (Probably because I am not an artist or a UI designer by any means haha)

As an artist/designer, feel free to ask me for help anytime with UI related issues. I'll be glad to give a hand.

Also: Your Pokémon database might be a bit off. Especially if it's based off the Pokédex, which has the occasional typo here and there. Primal Groudon, for example, is listed as single-Ground Type.

Excellent work on this, I look forward to seeing this program evolve.
Edited by SonusAnima, Oct 3 2016, 05:17 PM.

KakugaGoka
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I only just found out I can cycle between generated Pokémon using the small arrows near its name. I think some UI redesign will be needed in later iterations. Function wise, this program is incredibly cool and I'll begin using it on tabletops whenever I can.

Yeah, the arrows are actually remains from the old UI that I destroyed cause it was too cramped. I am working on new arrows for that area currently.

Quote:

As an artist/designer, feel free to ask me for help anytime with UI related issues. I'll be glad to give a hand.

If you want to take a look, all of the GUI items are in the Data folder. Feel free to take a peek and send any redesigns you like my way. I can run them by my team (Most data entry and testers I know that are lending a helping hand.)

Quote:

Also: Your Pokémon database might be a bit off. Especially if it's based off the Pokédex, which has the occasional typo here and there. Primal Groudon, for example, is listed as single-Ground Type.

That is exactly the kind of bugs I am looking for. Most of the "This seems odd" bugs I am currently working on, but the incorrect data or Pokemon that are missing things is the kind of stuff that is hard to find via unit testing and basic look throughs. That is now fixed and will be in the next update! (I think my next update will probably be around next Sunday. Just a few hotfixes though, nothing major until I can do some house keeping on the code.)

Thanks for your feedback and also your praise. My small group is humbled and also really fired up by it. :)

Devlain
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm on linux right now, the next time I boot the PC, I'll enter with windows only to see this =O

KakugaGoka
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For all of you coming though and downloading, please respond here with you praise and feedback. I really would like to get this tool up to par enough that it can find it's place among the rest of the tools and utilities found here

My plan from here on out is to post an updated BETA build, or a reason as to why I don't have one, every Sunday until the project is finished. If I don't get any feature requests coming in, then the project will be considered complete sooner than later. As the community that will use the tool, however, I would love to see it shaped by you.

Thanks,
Kakuga

Kajhera
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to try this out, but >100MB looks like a pretty serious space commitment on my netbook ... maybe once I'm somewhere more roomy, or if you make a hosted version
Edited by Kajhera, Oct 15 2016, 09:30 AM.

KakugaGoka
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I'd like to try this out, but >100MB looks like a pretty serious space commitment on my netbook ... maybe once I'm somewhere more roomy, or if you make a hosted version

This tool is made for full user adaption and editing of the information given. The size is because of the images that are used in it. If the size is too much for your netbook's storage space, maybe get a small flash drive? That would work fine, as this program does not require an install.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR