Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Are Ghost-types actually ghosts?
Topic Started: May 25 2015, 09:52 PM (2,270 Views)
OniLink147
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In Pokemon we have seen it described both ways. Ghosts are able to reproduce, eat, and generally have biological needs, but their Pokedex entries often state that they are straight up dead things that have come back. Which do you think they are?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jacquerel
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think that they are both, some ghosts being actual reanimated beings, some being the children of other ghosts, and some being (like voltorb) something more like the reanimation of concepts.

Lysander99
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Personally, i'm of the opinion that the original maybe have been an actual ghost, but it is now a full species of pokemon. I could see how every so often someone might become a ghost pokemon through other means. I mean, there's a whole host of things that can happen to turn you into a pokemon anyways.

Captain_Six
Member Avatar
Fightsmith
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I go with the idea that ghost pokemon are beings made from and manipulators of ghostly energy. They are not literally ghosts in the same way that Bug pokemon are bugs. They are more like how a Rock pokemon are composed of rock, manipulate rock, but are not the same thing as a roadside pebble. Likewise I believe that Ghost pokemon are different from the lower-case ghost, even if they might be made from the same spectral material.

I consider the idea that ghost pokemon are deceased humans or pokemon to be your standard pokedex weirdness.

Dr.Webster
Poke Paleontologist
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It seems that ghost types are many things. The ghastly family is gaseous creatures from another dimension, banette is a toy that wants revenge, yamask is a soul of the dead, the list goes on for this pokemon type.

Aroven
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It could be both in that when someone dies, the imprint of their death might echo out into Ghost type energy (or Anima or whathaveyou). Dead guy's soul moves on, and if he bites it hard enough or in a particular way, he probably births a baseline ghost poke. Side note: This makes some ghosts rather squicky- Spiritomb was likely birthed by a massacre.

CorpseMoney
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think it depends on the setting, they can literally be ghostly type beings who can also be captured and battled, or they can be pokemon with ethereal and supernatural characteristics.

Mr. Seal The Albatross
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I like to think ghost types are more based around having certain characteristics people normally would see as similar to ghosts, but aren't exactly ghosts themselves. Sableye isn't exactly a ghost, but his powers and move list seems to show he has some powers a ghost has.

Blackhawk748
Member Avatar
Shade Caller
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Its a mixed bag, as has been said. Phantump is apparently the soul of a lost child, whereas i see Duskull as just a Pokemon with ghostly attributes

charon
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What I wanted to comment has already been covered closely by Captain_Six/Mr. Seal The Albatross.

I need to bring up the Marowak from Gen-I. It was the literal ghost of a deceased Marowak, it was not in any sense a Ghost-type Pokemon.
That alone in my view proves that "literal ghosts" and Ghost-type Pokemon are two different things.

And let's not forget that there are some Pokemon who gain the Ghost-typing upon evolution, without dying in the process.

Ghost-type Pokemon are usually just weird, often gaseous, kinds of organisms. They are creatures that can seem physically abnormal. Of course being that way, it is easy to confuse them with actual ghosts, which is why the type is called that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon General · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR