Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[PTU Blog] Pokémon Spotlight: Mareep Line
Topic Started: Jan 22 2015, 10:31 PM (2,087 Views)
castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Read the post here: http://pokemontabletop.com/pokemon-spotlight-mareep-family/

So fluffy. So cute. I debated holding off this post until the lunar new year, since I'm planning to put the blog on partial hiatus until we finish 1.05 anyway, but I figured having one last proper post before retreating to the PTU dev cave would be better. And now that I'm done with it, maybe I'll stop having "Mary Had a Little Lamb" stuck in my head all the time.

I thought about coming up with a shiny digital Mareep for Mary from my little notes in Do Porygon Dream of Mareep?, but I can't decide if it's funnier to say her big secret is she's actually a Porygon someone programmed to look like a Mareep.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the post! Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a big 'ol pile of work for 1.05 that the other devs and I have been chipping away at...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zweilous
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Aw yeah, I been lookin' for things to do with Ol' Meep. I've always loved Ampharos, and I got a Speed Ace Gadget Guy (also in Club Amphy) that wants one to be his primary tank. This should be a good read.

Flamewolf9
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great post. This makes me think of when my players was at a ranch for a few days to earn some cash and learn a few new cooking recipes. One of them got assigned to take care of the sheep and make sure they were properly sheered. Because he was too lazy to do it himself he commanded them to sheer themselves in a very authoritarian way. After rolling a 34, the mareep were inspired by his force of presence to take the wisdom of the profound effectiveness authoritarian rule and spread it through out the rest of the farm. The farm ran very efficiently from then on.

Upon discovering this as they went through the ranch area again, that same character tried to show them democracy (and how rig elections). There are still issues with the politics on the ranch.

Dark_Star
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whenever you do a Pokemon Spotlight blog post, I'm always especially interested in the Variants provided. They always get me thinking about how, in a real world, Pokemon would adapt to their environments. Something I wanted to do when I was writing up my current campaign was come up with at least region-unique variants of common or at least uncommon pokemon, but wound up not doing that at the time because I didn't feel like I could make such changes without upsetting the intended balance. However, with some of the ideas presented in these Spotlights, I'm starting to feel like I've got an idea of how to make such changes.

Also, for this spotlight specifically, a player of mine had been wanting to get an Ampharos eventually and I'd decided I'd give each player a special pokemon eventually, depending on their characters' personalities. I might just see about him befriending a Mareep with especially fluffy wool, or perhaps a more standoffish one with rocky horns... But later. The group isn't quite far enough into the plot yet for me to feel like giving them another pokemon off their Dream Teams...

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
When I first started writing the spotlights, I definitely had in mind variations that were more tilted towards regional adaptations which you might see spread over entire populations of the Pokémon in certain regions, and you can see that reflected in my variants for the Phatump line. Admittedly though, I've been leaning more and more to towards silly shinies or other special snowflake Pokémon in later posts like this one. If you wanna think about adapting to environments and variants that can reasonably be used as large populations, the Phantump examples might be better than these. :P I think going forward I'll try to keep things a bit more grounded, on the whole. Just a bit.

OniLink147
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
These are super helpful as a GM. Keep these going, they're great.

EdroGrimshell
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually did a variant of a shiny pokemon for one of my players (pus reused the idea for a glitch mon), essentially giving him a hybrid pokemon (it's called luvperl, take a wild guess :p ). Anyway, I thought it was a neat idea and even came up with a way to make it a little fun by allowing players the chance (however slim) to breed their own hybrids (none of the players are Hatchers or have the Breeder feature so I thought it was aright). The chances of a hybrid occurring is two 1s on a d100 during the breeding check (or using This One's Special) with a third 1 on a d100 making it able to breed true rather than being a sterile hybrid.

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The only thing that really drove me away from investing in a Mareep in PTU is that Flaaffy ends up losing its amazing ability of Fluffy Charge once it evol-

Quote:

Mechanics: Ampharos keeps Fluffy Charge rather than gaining Illuminate as an Ability.

ilu

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR