Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[PTU Blog] Gym Design: Unconventional Challenges
Topic Started: Jan 6 2015, 10:34 PM (2,877 Views)
castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Read the post here: http://pokemontabletop.com/gym-design-unconventional-challenges/

Phew, this took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I had some good shameless fun putting together the example Gym concepts for this one, and I hope you find something in this post that's useful for your next Gym Challenge!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Races aren’t just for Pokéathlons, though you’ll have to be careful to sufficiently differentiate your Gym Challenge from a simple footrace.

Anyone play Golden Sun? One fun idea for a race is to not make winning the race the entire fight but instead give the winner of the race a significant advantage in an arena fight in the form of extra items or buffs.

COLOSSO! <3

And now reading that entire blog post was worth it.

Quote:

This idea is taken from an encounter from Dox’s PokEtrian Odyssey campaign.

Now I have to go find Dox and ask him how he pulled that off, because one day I want to do that. >_> Except without the Shedinja idea, because Shedinja is the devil.
Edited by DNA, Jan 6 2015, 10:42 PM.

Grand Silver
Member Avatar
2 kewl 4 u!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I love the Golden Sun based idea.

zoofman
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DNA
Jan 6 2015, 10:42 PM
Quote:

Races aren’t just for Pokéathlons, though you’ll have to be careful to sufficiently differentiate your Gym Challenge from a simple footrace.

Anyone play Golden Sun? One fun idea for a race is to not make winning the race the entire fight but instead give the winner of the race a significant advantage in an arena fight in the form of extra items or buffs.

COLOSSO! <3

And now reading that entire blog post was worth it.

Quote:

This idea is taken from an encounter from Dox’s PokEtrian Odyssey campaign.

Now I have to go find Dox and ask him how he pulled that off, because one day I want to do that. >_> Except without the Shedinja idea, because Shedinja is the devil.
One of the settings in GoT will be very reminiscent of it

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Then I shall await it with bated breath.

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Even in Pokémon, F O E!
I forgot Escape Ropes, F O E!

I didn't play in the campaign, but from watching some of it I can say the way you do it is by throwing FOEs at anyone foolish enough to wander out in the wilds alone.

Arcran
Member Avatar
Pokemon Apocalypse Survivor
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Dream World Gym Battle actually made me die a little inside. No Combat Stages? That's.... horrible. =P

In all seriousness, great work cast! I was scared when I read the title that it would end up being boring races and the like but it certainly ended up being interesting ways to keep the spirit of a Gym Battle with an interesting twist.

Sgt. Cookie
Member Avatar
Not sure what's going on
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good post, as always.

Now I have ideas for a Ghost type gym, that functions sort of like a "Survival Horror" game.

The challengers are placed in a haunted mansion, where the Gym leader's pokemon are all scattered around. The challenger's task is to go around the Mansion, tracking down the gym leader's pokemon. To keep with the theme of the "Survival" aspect, the challengers are only allowed to take a couple of items, such as a potion or held item.

The gym leader is mysteriously around the main pokemon, so he's capable of commanding them to full effect.

Of course, its not that simple. Throughout the haunted mansion are scores of lesser ghosts. No "real" threat to a proper team but certainly nothing to be ignored. Not only that, but the Gym Leader's pokemon themselves move about the mansion. And if you should encounter them in groups, well, you're in for a hell of a fight.

Some rooms have locked doors, requiring the challengers to find keys or solve a small puzzle (Nothing mansion, spanning, just something like a logic puzzle) in order to continue. While, theoretically, the challengers "could" wait for the gym leader's pokemon to come to them, the benefits of exploring the mansion allow them to find healing items or other consumables. And given that you don't have much to start with, you probably should.

Slytherclaw
Member Avatar
Storyteller
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ohhh, these are interesting! I'm going to use a lot of ideas from this!

[Probably stop reading if you're in my Geode campaign~]

I'm working on a maze/puzzle gym that's basically littered with rock type switched pokemon that act as 'statues' until you wake them up. Vaguely borrowing from an old dnd puzzle, shh. PCs win if they can find their way to the center of the maze and make it through the barrage of attacks from the gym leader's pokemon, a few traps, etc.

Also a gym that belongs to a poison ace researcher who experiments with new compounds, and accepts challengers in her giant testing room filled with all sorts of levers, buttons, and areas slicked with the compounds. Compounds can do good or bad things, and are a gamble, as are all of the buttons and levers. But 8-10 of them are tagged as special, and light up tags on a board on the side of the wall. If the PC pokemon can manage to hit 5 of them, it's also considered a win. Still working out details, though.

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
castfromhp
Jan 7 2015, 12:12 PM
Even in Pokémon, F O E!
I forgot Escape Ropes, F O E!
I just listened to that song for the first time a little while ago.

...I hate Omochabako. >_>

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR