Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pokemon Tabletop. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
[PTU Blog] Gym Design: Signature Elements
Topic Started: Dec 21 2014, 01:37 PM (3,677 Views)
castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Read the post here: http://pokemontabletop.com/gym-design-signature-elements/

Bluh bluh holidays. Hopefully will get back on a more regular posting schedule starting from now!

This is the first in a series of posts I've got in mind on Gym design and sample gyms. I might do a personal imagining of how to treat one of the canonical Gym Leaders from the video game soon, but I want to cover unconventional Gym Challenges first.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Do you remember Whitney’s Miltank? Clair’s Kingdra? Korrina’s Lucario?

I don't know why that last one is there; that fight is scripted. I can see the first two, though.

Quote:

I once helped one of my friends stat out an early Gym where a completely normal Girafarig tore the players a new one – it got affectionately nicknamed the Murder Giraffe, and it’s now the only part of that Gym I remember helping create.

I remember our team once being torn a new one by a Dunsparce, of all things. The deadliest ones are always the most unassuming.

Quote:

Two Grass Type Gym Leaders will give very different impressions if one of them disables a swarm of foes and slowly wears them down with their Vileplume

Hay Fever <3

Quote:

Ruffles is a giant Trapinch the size of a whale who lives in the desert underneath his tower. When all the rest of Ephraim’s Pokémon have been defeated, the battle shifts into a quite different second phase as Ruffles emerges from the ground.

I swear I've seen this in A Link Between Worlds before...

This is cool stuff.

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I chose Korrina precisely because of the scripted battle. It's something that made her Pokémon notable outside of the Gym Challenge itself and tied into something cool the player got - Mega Evolution. That's the sort of thing it's good to make signature Pokémon do. That and I decided I wanted to include a Gen VI example and couldn't think of any other Pokémon a Gym Leader used that really stuck out to me.

DNA
Member Avatar
King of Thought
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gen 6 sadly didn't have any examples of anyone who was truly difficult, but as far as Gen 3 goes, I have always had a hard time with Norman's entire team.

Dark_Star
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DNA
Dec 21 2014, 03:16 PM
Gen 6 sadly didn't have any examples of anyone who was truly difficult, but as far as Gen 3 goes, I have always had a hard time with Norman's entire team.
It's always the Normal Type Gym Leaders...

I really like this blog post. I'd actually been dabbling in making gym leaders myself, partly due to a now-shelved campaign I tried to run a while back. I had been working with the idea of gym leaders who used multi-type teams based around a theme other than type. For example, one gym was based around the theme of "Weather", with the leader using a Castform or two that knew Weatherball extraordinarily early, and was supported by his Gym Trainers who all used pokemon that knew weather moves. On top of it the Gym Leader himself was a Climatologist researcher, and so would mix weather to get the most out of his Castforms. I never got to actually pit the players against him before conflicting schedules got in the way of running the campaign, but if I ever do, I'll be sure to make use of this information to make a (hopefully) unforgettable encounter.

carnackiArdent
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Can I just say, I love giving the signature Pokémon a theme song, too? I know you started insisting a Gym Leader having a theme was mandatory in 1.04.

Also I kind of love that the big, pompous, mystical leader with the Dragon-types and the focus on overwhelming attack named his giant Trapinch "Ruffles".

castfromhp
Member Avatar
Mawile Ace
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ruffles is a name I traditionally give to big bruisers on my video game Pokémon teams. The last one to get the nickname was my (Mega) Blastoise in X.

KingMarth
Lurker
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In our current game, the solution to group gym battles was for gym leaders to have Stewards, named NPCs that act as apprentice gym leaders to assist in large challenges as well as running errands that involve travel. This also helps justify the multiple command actions (and additional trainer actions for Orders and such), even if there still aren't as many gym staff members as there are players. Not that there's anything wrong with granting more command actions for balance, but the less time spent wondering "why don't more people do this," the more time spent actually thinking about the campaign.

Of course, as mentioned to an earlier post, trainers are also limited on how many of their six can be taken into the challenge, so that the challenge can end in a reasonable amount of time.

I like the transformational battle to the "final boss" there.

Grand Silver
Member Avatar
2 kewl 4 u!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All of these ideas sound like a lot of fun from either side, I can only imagine what sort of craziness will come along with some of the stuff in the next edition.

theweirdest1
Member Avatar
Pokémon Trainer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All this talk of a Boss Template makes me SUPER excited for 1.05. Any chance of us getting a peek at that in a blog post?

Also super interested by gyms with alternate win conditions. I want to add more to my campaign, but the only one that I have right now involves the PCs rescuing people from a flooded town while the Tide Drinker leader's Pokemon attack them and try to destroy their boat.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pokemon: Tabletop United · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Pokéball created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR